Valentine's Day Massacre

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishalaa

Irish Chinchilla
The pictures are graphic, but it's not that dramatic, I just couldn't resist the title.

I saw the mating and this litter was due tomorrow, Valentine's Day. However, I found her with one live kit and still in labor this morning. She was in hard labor and after a few minutes, when she was having many contractions but not going to her vagina, I knew something was wrong.

I went in with a finger and could feel the kit stuck behind the pelvic opening. I couldn't get any kind of grip on it, so I did what I could to reposition it and hope she could pass it. Eventually she did, as well as another kit that was stuck behind it.

I believe this kit died a couple weeks ago and was beginning to mummify. It was extremely contorted in the sac, which is probably why she could not get it through her pelvic opening. When I opened the sac, the smell was pretty strong. This female had begun losing weight in her pregnancy but I didn't think anything of it as I've had a couple other moms lose weight in the last two weeks with no problem, although she lost the most. If you put any stock in triskaidekaphobia, this kit was my A13. The kit that followed was fully formed, not smelly, and probably still alive until spending too long in birth.

A12, however, is doing well. I put him with a foster mom while I worked with his mom, but he is back with her now that she is cleaned up.

Attachments

• mummy1.jpg
    mummy1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 385
  • mummy2.jpg
    mummy2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 296
  • mummy3.jpg
    mummy3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 272
Wow! I know what a horror this is, but it's amazing to see it. I had no idea beings could mummify inside of the mother. I'm glad A12 is well. I hope the thrives well for you. I'm assuming the mom is ok since he's back with her. That's great news!

If you haven't started you might want to run a antibiotic on mom to wipe out any toxicity left in her system, keep us updated on the little guy!

Wow....! Interesting but so sorry it happened to you. It's good we have this section on the forum..to show these things do happen, can and will!!!

Ick!!! So sorry you lost the two kits. But at least you knew what you were doing to get them out!! Best of luck to A12. Glad it is doing well!

That is one rotting kit. That looks very similar to what I saw of the kit that came out of my female back in September (the one where the vet left the head in the uterus...like a pro). I would also start her on TMS if you haven't already. Hopefully the next litters are uneventful for you and A12 continues to thrive!

I think I do have some TMS, I'll have to check. Can someone confirm a dose? And would it be safe for the kit while she's nursing? I don't know that anything leaked out inside her, the kit was still in the sac, complete, just contorted. It was when I opened the sac that the brown goo got out.

I can't remember exact dosages off the top of my head, but sulfa drugs are safe for nursing/pregnant mothers.

Here's a pic of mom and A12, doing well one week later.

cupidmadge.jpg

Back