Using metal sheet as base...??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazzy4

Hello everyone!

I very recently took in 2 chins and their cage.

The cage is good, but it has metal bars at the bottom, with plastic trays that sit on top, but the trays have been chewed quite a bit exposing the bars..

The plastic is obviously dangerous, but I cannot just remove it as the bars would also be a danger.

So I was thinking about ordering some well-fitting aluminium metal sheeting to cover the bars, as it seems to be my only option!! But would I need to do anything to the metal or could I just pop it straight in??

Any help or advice would be appreciated!!
Thank you!!!

what kind of cage is it? If it's a ferret nation or a critter nation you can order metal pans from bass equipment. Or if its another cage type you could have them custom make one for you.

I would imagine it would be safe as long as there weren't any sharp edges. After that, you could put fleece on top of it. I'm assuming you're in the UK; do they have any places that could make custom pans for you if you wanted to go that route?

I was planning on getting 2 pans from bass equipment, as they'd seem to be the best thing, but I was absolutely shocked at the $95 dollar shipping fee, which is twice the price of the 2 pans!! Which would mean just buying a whole new cage would be cheaper!

I tried looking for somewhere close to me that might be able to make a couple of custom trays for it, but nothing :(

I just really don't know what do to, I'm terrible at DIY, so there's no chance of me being able to make anything, I really need something that comes pretty much done and that I can just put in.

I thought about a piece of wood, but can imagine it'd just get chewed even more than the plastic has been...

Is there any way to get rid of the sharp edges on the metal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on getting 2 pans from bass equipment, as they'd seem to be the best thing, but I was absolutely shocked at the $95 dollar shipping fee, which is twice the price of the 2 pans!! Which would mean just buying a whole new cage would be cheaper!

I tried looking for somewhere close to me that might be able to make a couple of custom trays for it, but nothing :(

I just really don't know what do to, I'm terrible at DIY, so there's no chance of me being able to make anything, I really need something that comes pretty much done and that I can just put in.

I thought about a piece of wood, but can imagine it'd just get chewed even more than the plastic has been...

Is there any way to get rid of the sharp edges on the metal?

I think he idea of making a wooden frame to go on top of it may work well for you. Try seeing if your local hardware/lumber supply could cut it for you. If anything, find someone to either nail it together safely or find non toxic wood glue.

I can't put a frame around it as it that would make it too big to fit in my cage, as at the moment it fits perfectly and even an extremely thin wooden frame would would make it too big, and wouldn't the chins just chew the wooden frame exposing the edges anyway? :hmm:
I'm trying to find out if I can somehow file the sharp metal edges down somehow, but don't know how effective it will be..

this might be a far out there option but its worth a shot. also, you may have everything already figured out because the post was a while back..but here goes.

if you're looking to alter the bottom of your cage with metal i would try going to a metal shop near you. you know, like the ones that do rain gutter work or construction. you can try 24 gauge galvanized metal. an issue of concern i was seeing reading the responses was that there could possibly be sharp harmful edges. if you were to go to a shop that works with sheet metal, you could ask them to hemp the edges so they aren't sharp. im sure all you'll need are your cage measurements and a metal of choice (galvanize is probably cheapest next to aluminum) i used to work for my dad's rain gutter company and i used to fabricate a lot of custom things for customers. this may be a long shot, but i thought it may help. good luck and post updates! :D

Back