Urine color

Chichimom

I have a question about what healthy urine should look like. I've had my male chinchilla for over a year, he's been to the vet and is healthy, however, his urine has always been a reddish brown color, is this normal?

Zahrii

Normal chinchilla urine color is either yellow, dark orange, or even the color you mentioned. It may be dark orange but look reddish brown in certain lighting. If you use shavings, and see the urine on that, it will seem even darker. The color of urine is also affected by the type or wood your chin chews. My boys chew apple sticks and constantly have dark urine. It's normal, but if the urine is obviously red/dark red you should get it checked out. If you're unsure, somehow putting the urine in a container may help you decipher the true color, like using a syringe (If you don't use bedding or if your chin misses the litter). It may take a few tries though.

Also make sure he's drinking at least one tablespoon of water daily, as dark urine can also be a sign of dehydration. If you want to be sure if exactly how much he is drinking, mark his water bottle with a Sharpie marker or a piece of duct tape. Also, make sure the bottle is functioning well. Check the nozzle if it's ball and tip, shake it, make sure water is coming out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Group builder