Underweight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devynthecatwithsocks

So my new chinchilla has gone through some medical issues and she has lost quite a bit of weight. Shes gained a lot of it back but i can feel her spine when i pet her when shes in a sitting position. She doesn't have much fur on her back rn as she lost it from being spooked at the vet. Is she still severely underweight or are most chins like this. My other chin has all her fur so i cant really tell the difference between them but they both weigh about the same current, just over a pound.

Going by weight alone doesn't really tell you much, it's like comparing two adult humans, normal healthy weight can range from about 400g to over 1,200g depending on genetic. Can you just feel the spine when in a sitting position or even when just standing on all fours? Also if you pet down her sides can you feel the ribs? You should be able to feel them, but under a thin layer of fat, if it feels more like you are petting furry bones then she is likely still underweight. Did the vet comment on her weight?

Back