Uncomfortable.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

the dreamer
So I've been looking for a bigger tank for my turtle. I found a really good deal on craigslist with a huge tank, awesome filter, two heaters, and other assorted stuff for $200. It's a great deal, but I didn't have the money for it. I was talking about it with some friends and then I find out that my one friend went and bought it for me.

I'm very thankful, but also awkward. I feel uncomfortable accepting such an expensive gift, you know?

What should I do? I told her I'm going to pay her back for it, and I fully intend on doing so. I just... I don't know.

I would thank her for it & pay her back for it, as you intend to do.

I always feel awkward as well when people even buy me inexpensive things. Like my boyfriend wanted to buy me some shoes & I kept telling him no. I just feel...weird. It may be just the fact I'm not use to someone being so generous.

You have a very good friend! I'd hold onto them!

Pay her back when you can. Giving it back will just make her have to deal with reselling it and she obviously wanted to buy it for you.

I know it makes you feel uncomfortable, it would make me feel uncomfortable. It makes me feel weird when someone buys me a drink and I can't pay them back right then--even if they don't want me to pay them back at all.

But she knew what she was doing. I'm sure she thought about if she really wanted to spend the money--so don't think her reasoning wasn't valid or anything. She can understand the consequences of her actions. So enjoy it, and save up a little every week or two and pay her back all in one, or little by little and let her know how much you appreciate the very generous gift. Write her a thank you letter or cook her dinner or something (trying to think of free-ish things you can do).

Try to not feel guilty about it and be thankful now your turtle can have an awesome home!!

EDIT: You people are inhumanly fast...I can't keep up!!!!

Some people like to give! Some people just get pleasure from seeing their friends and loved one happy :) Yes there is still good people in the world and it appears you have one for a friend ;)

Thank her and pay her back as you can, let her be happy she could help!

Some people like to give! Some people just get pleasure from seeing their friends and loved one happy....

Exactly! I have been going thru incredibly hard times as far as finances go for the past 2 yrs. During this time, my parents have helped me beyond my wildest dreams and once told my dad I wouldn't accept any more help from them as they'd done more than enough. His response? "You should not interfere in my wanting to help, as doing so is interfering in my happiness. I want to help and therefore, I will." I learned to be very appreciative and help them when I can, with what I can. Though it's not always financial going their way, it's the "payback" I can afford. They're happy, and I am too. Win-Win! :)

Ash, that is something I would do for a friend that is dear to me and want to help and put a smile on her face.
So just let her know you appreciate this but that you want to pay her back. I am sure she will be okay with that.

That is what friends are for, helping each other out. At least in my books :)

What a nice friend! If you feel you need to do something more than just pay her back, maybe treat her to a nice lunch one day or something. I always appreciate a yummy lunch at my favorite restaurant.... :D

she bought it with NO intention of getting paid back. so do so at a level you are comfy with and get her something "extra" for the holidays.

it feels good to give and make others smile, accept it for what it is and make sure you smile!!

Great friend Ash, some people are just really compassionate when others need help and she probably felt for your turtle too. I know if I was in a position to help out a friend and an animal I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Pash since someday you're going to be on the other end of having to give gifts (if you know what I mean!) $200 is nothing! LOL. This was a very nice thing for your friend to do--I have a friend like that too--her name is Sandi and when she does something like that for me I tell her I love her. Time spent with this friend is most likely precious to her--lunches and a nice card really do go a long way.

Happy for your turtle--he/she is the real winner here

Pash,

I agree with the others as well. Do something nice for her when you can. If she didn't want to do it, she wouldn't have went out of her way to do it!

My grandfather has been helping me out alot, by paying half of my car payment each month. I've tried refusing his help, telling him I can afford it myself I'll make it work.. But you know what? It makes HIM happy, and I finally gave in and have left him help me with my car payments. Arguing was useless and in the end would have just hurt his feelings, so I've taken what was offered and can see how happy it makes him to know he is helping someone.

Sometimes we just have to "give in", say thank you and do something nice in return.

Perhaps she likes you! Oooh la la!
I'm teasing!

I just hope she isn't one of those friends who will hold it above your head for eternity.
I had a friend like that. We would go to the mall and she would always end up buying something for her and for me. I would go so far as to stop the cashier's hand from scanning the item. And when I started refusing to go out with her because of it, she would be all like "after all I've done for you!"

Back