types of hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbradley6

just a little chin-crazy!
i'm looking for opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself.

my chinnies seem to not be interested in timothy hay. ive tried every brand i can find. but they eat a little bit and the rest just get flung all over the cage.

when i tried orchard grass hay, more was eaten. not all, but more. i give a handful and about half this time was gone.

how important is the TYPE of hay they eat? i know alfalfa is sweeter and supposed to be to used less often... but what about the other kinds i see in the store? oxbow has timothy, orchard grass, oat hay... i cant remember if theres more.

input please?

Chins are gonna waste... that's just how they are. They take a couple bites and then throw it down. They do the same with pellets. Timothy is important for their teeth and wearing them down. But try mixing different types of hay in with their timothy. It will keep them more occupied. Possibly try giving them less at one time. Maybe split it up through out the day. But... in all honesty... Chins are gonna waste some. That's just what they do.

My chins wasted so much hay until I bought Small Pet Select. I haven't tried their Orchard yet but I will since the Timothy was such a big hit. :]

I end up mixing timothy, orchard, botanical (which is basically timothy with some herbs mixed in there) and sometimes a little oat hay in there. They eat hay pretty good, but there is always waste. I also feed alfalfa once in a while (which they LOVE). I also give hay cubes too. Chins are picky and mine are SUPER picky! I am definitely ordering some of Tonya's fun hay here soon. Different hays wear down the teeth differently, so you should give your chin a variety. Timothy is the most important of course, but throw in some variety and they will be good!

I want to try Tanya's hay too!

We've used American Pet Diner hay for years, but the chinchillas have recently started protesting - and they have discontinued their Orchard Grass due to drought and running out.

I ordered from Sierra Valley Hay about a month or two ago and got a Orchard/Alfalfa mix, timothy and oat. They love all of them so far. I am super allergic to Timothy, so I have to wear a mask and gloves around it, but it looks wonderful.

Back