Two things I noticed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SactoChinMom

I just attended my first show -- ECBC in Sacramento.

Of course, I learned tons of great stuff from the awesome judges.

One thing I noticed was that what I personally like is also what the judges like. The most popular comment was that they wished the chins were a little bigger and they loved the blocky ones. The wedge (or mousy) ones were definitely no-no's.

One of the judges said she would love to see a chin that fills the whole cage on the judges table and she has to use two hands to pick it up.

With me, the more they look like a bowling ball, the better I like them.

The other thing that surprised me -- one chin was not considered because of watery eyes. The judge pointed out how both eyes looked like they had been watering a lot. I whispered to the person next to me, "gotta be the teeth," and in the very next instant, the judge said the same thing. He said you don't want to use this chin for breeding.

What surprised me was that the breeder included that chin in the show. But, like I said, I'm very new and have a lot to learn still.

Now, gotta go do my internet research.

yeah the ecbc state show (sacramento) was ths first show i attended.
and i rmb the watery eyed chinchilla was it a standard? i dont remember but he/she got out of the competition cuz of watery eyes (thats a malo symptom right?)

anyways, the judges said that ppl needed to work on clarity and size
i personally like big chinchillas as well, well who doesnt like fat chinnies?

r u going to the national show in MO?
i want/plan to go, im just afriad that i migght get lost at the airport cuz i dont know which MO airport(there are like 3 airports) yet!
i asked my mom to go with me but she has a airplane phobia thingy

Chalie, you fly into Kansas City. The Heartland Branch will be providing shuttle service to St. Joseph, about 1 hour North of KC.

I just attended my first show -- ECBC in Sacramento.

Of course, I learned tons of great stuff from the awesome judges.

One thing I noticed was that what I personally like is also what the judges like. The most popular comment was that they wished the chins were a little bigger and they loved the blocky ones. The wedge (or mousy) ones were definitely no-no's.

One of the judges said she would love to see a chin that fills the whole cage on the judges table and she has to use two hands to pick it up.

With me, the more they look like a bowling ball, the better I like them.

The other thing that surprised me -- one chin was not considered because of watery eyes. The judge pointed out how both eyes looked like they had been watering a lot. I whispered to the person next to me, "gotta be the teeth," and in the very next instant, the judge said the same thing. He said you don't want to use this chin for breeding.

What surprised me was that the breeder included that chin in the show. But, like I said, I'm very new and have a lot to learn still.

Now, gotta go do my internet research.

Depending on the breeder, if it was truly someone who knows their chins, the eyes may not be teeth issues, but something else (blocked ducts, etc) that the breeder has already looked into, and they may have enterred it to try and get feedback on the animal itself, knowing it would get knocked for the eyes.

I saw many new faces at this show and I hope that everyone learned a lot!

Just FYI, the person who brought that chin with the watery eyes isn't a breeder at this point or a member of ECBC. They brought the chin to show him "just for fun."

I will be going to the National Show... but I'm driving, not flying!

I saw many new faces at this show and I hope that everyone learned a lot!

Just FYI, the person who brought that chin with the watery eyes isn't a breeder at this point or a member of ECBC. They brought the chin to show him "just for fun."

I will be going to the National Show... but I'm driving, not flying!

Good to know, Sumi! Was just throwing that scenario out there though.

Back