Trying to prepare

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
So a girl I took in not too long ago was housed with a male. I'm guessing that there is at least a great chance she is pregnant, because she has put on quite some weight in the time I've had her...and keeps doing so.

I have a baby safe cage ready and her in it, but I was wondering if/when I should start her on water with cranberry juice? Are there other things that I might have over looked that I should have on hand or be doing? This is my first time with a pregnant mother, but I've had kits before in my home. The one time I had kits I had to hand feed etc. and ended losing one anyways, so I've been down the hard road after the kits have been born, just am trying to be sure that I do the right things before they come (if they do)

Really any info would be helpful! I'm very nervous about this! Wish me luck!

Also, I was told for her to pass them easily her pelvis should be a dime by a dime and a half (someone posted that on my other thread) and when I checked her it was just that. Is that a bad sign? Are there ways to tell if she'll have a bad birthing? I have a vet on call planning for everynight because we don't know when/if it will happen :wacko:

Thanks!

I'd say a dime and a half at least would be good to pass kits easily.

I wouldn't start with giving her any juice. It just isn't something that I think you will need. It would be good to keep some goat's milk handy just in case. (I keep a can or two here just so I can hand feed if necessary.)

I think the most important thing is that you be very vigilant. Watch for contractions and definitely watch to see if the mama has any trouble at all. Changes in behavior should be taken seriously for sure. Labor should be pretty easy on a mother chin, gushing blood or discharge for more than a couple hours is bad.

Keep an eye on her and if you see any problems at all, get her to a vet. Having babies is one of the most taxing, dangerous things that a female chin can go through.

85% of the time everything goes just fine with no problems. We're here for you if anything does go wrong... It's great to hear that you have a vet on call all the time! That's really very rare and wonderful and it makes me so happy to hear that! :)

You should also watch the mother's behavior. Two or three days before the birth some mothers act a little worn out and won't be as active. However, they should always jump up when you touch them and eat their hay and act fairly normal when you are there with them. Some of my girls act a little hyper the night before...and I always know that when they get that little burst of energy that that will be the night the babies will be born. (Actually they are normally born early in the morning around 5 to 6 am.)

I have one little girl that is due to have babies any day. It's driving me crazy. Last time she had triplets...I am hoping that she only has one this time. I prefer them having one little one...it makes life for everyone so much easier. Three or four little wiglets is too many beebees. :)

I should send you my phone number in case you have any problems... ;)

Naw...I just like to help. I can sympathize because having baby chins be born for the first time can make people really nervous. :) My first litter was nerve wracking...I was so worried about every little thing. I had good breeders and ranchers to call with any questions, that was so nice that they were there for me!

I should send you my phone number in case you have any problems... ;)

that would be amazing! Or even an e-mail or something...

also, the baby safe cage I have is a wired bottom cage. Is that alright? I know that the wire has to be (correct me if I'm wrong please) and inch by an inch and a half. Right now I have just the hidey house in there but nothing she could eventually jump on the kits from. Because she and the males were bought (but were together for I think 2 weeks before that), put together, male killed and her sold all within about a week or two I'm guessing for babies within the first week of Oct.

Hopefully I won't need your help, but it's nice to know that the option is there!

Don't a lot of moms clean house more right before?

Also, I've been spacing out her baths just in case I'm wrong about the date-so I have less chance of bathing her too close to the delivery date. Should I stop bathing her at the beginning of Oct?

again, thanks sooooo much. I'm just glad this poor rescue was brought to me before she ended up with someone else :wacko:

Naw...I just like to help. I can sympathize because having baby chins be born for the first time can make people really nervous. :) My first litter was nerve wracking...I was so worried about every little thing. I had good breeders and ranchers to call with any questions, that was so nice that they were there for me!

Still, it's nice to see there are still people like you on the planet.:thumbsup:

No experience with births, but for some reason I thought I remembered hearing that the baby cage should be smaller than that... 1/2" x 1/2" maybe? I could be wrong...

Either way, best of luck!

the baby safe cage I have is a wired bottom cage. Is that alright? I know that the wire has to be (correct me if I'm wrong please) and inch by an inch and a half

Yeah, you are right CerLynn, but the floors should not be more than 1/4 x 1/4 inch and the walls can be up to 1 x 1/2 inch. 1/2 x 1/2 is good too since it's even smaller. Personally I would make sure most of the bottom of the cage is covered for kits if it is a wire bottom. I used fleece/cloth diapers and seagrass mats to line mine while they were really small.

Re babies

I am not sure but i think the one i rescued is pregnant too. Is the ferret nation a baby safe cage??? If she is?? I seprated her and the male when i brought them home. Her on top him at the bottom. Gloria

A Ferret Nation is not a baby safe cage. The bar spacing is way too large. You can either purchase a baby safe cage (bar spacing no more than 1/2in x 1/2in) or you can get some hardware cloth (in the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot) with smaller bar spacing and tightly wrap the entire section of the FN she is in.

Thankyou i hope shes not

I JUST TOLD MY HUSBAND THAT CAGE IS NOT BABY SAFE. HE SAID TOO BUY A CRIB FOR BABY THAT ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO PUT THEM IN CAGE. LOL:impatient:

Back