Trip to the Bahamas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratchilla

Be very, very afraid
I turn 30 this month and have never really been on a vacation since I moved out of my parent’s house at 21. I've done a little weekend in a hotel or something but nothing extravagant. I decided this year I actually wanted to do something and what better way to celebrate (or better yet, forget) that I’m turning 30.

My thing is this, what do I bring? I’ve never traveled outside the U.S. (besides a deployment and that doesn’t count since they basically provide everything). Is there anything that you would suggest that you wish you had taken on a trip? It is a 5 day 4 night trip.

Main questions:
  • Do I bring cash? Can I use a credit/debit card (Do the bahamas accept CCs)? Should I use a credit/debit card (e.g. ease of getting stolen)?
  • Should I bring my own snorkeling gear? I’ve never snorkeled so I would have to purchase some, worth it?
  • Should I buy a smaller point and shoot camera? Dang, I can't find what type I have right now but it's something like a Canon EOS Rebel SLR (10-12MP) camera. Takes nice pictures, but a little bulky. Only one I have.
  • It is an all inclusive hotel (drinks, food, tips). Have you ever done an all inclusive? I’d feel weird not tipping, like I’m a bad person. Lol.
  • Anything that you can think of or suggest? Packing tips? One big suitcase or two little ones (b/f is coming with, pertains to luggage fees)?

I'm so nervous. I feel like I haven't done anything to prepare and I'm usually so organized.

This sounds like such a fun trip!!! If it was me I'd have both cash and plastic to be safe. I'd also bring an extra suitcase or empty bag for souveniers.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Bring cash and debit. The hotel should have an ATM machine so you can withdraw from your account but you can't be guaranteed credit and its easier to steal and use. You can buy this small little purse that you wear under your clothes (I cant remember the name) and its strapped to your body to protect money and debit. Always keep a second debit card in the safe in your room.

You can probably rent snorkel gear but it depends on the hotel. Bringing it will only give you more stuff to take with you, so I would rent it.

A smaller camera may not take such nice pictures, but it is way easier to carry and less noticeable. I would recommend a small point and shoot. If you do bring the bigger one, keep a close eye on it while out.

It does feel weird not to tip...but it is the ONLY way to go when traveling to the bahamas. The good thing about not tipping is the employees are not allowed to take your tip even if you try, so its not that you're being rude...you're not allowed! And just remember you do pay for tipping in your trip costs, its tied into your total trip cost.

It all depends on the airline for luggage but many international carriers now only allow one luggage piece. Bring as little as you can, but don't forget one sweater/long sleeve shirt and one pair of pants. It can get cooler depending on the time of year or time of day. Put some clothes in your carry on in case they loose your luggage.

Make sure you use the safe in your room. Stuff in your room is not guaranteed nor is it necessarily safe. Put all your valuables in the safe even when you sleep. I say this because in the bahamas/mexico, etc. the hotels do not offer any guarantee of your items being kept safe in your room. Better to be safe than sorry and lock everything away when you're not using it.

Don't worry too much about being pickpocketed or robbed, but do be cautious. It can happen more easily than you would think. Always keep tabs on where your money is, the undergarment purse is a fanastic idea...keeps money close to your body where its super hard to steal because its against your belly, and hides it so anyone looking to pickpocket can't see a wallet in your pocket.

And most importantly....HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited:
Remember to let the CC company know that you will be traveling during such and such a time period, that way they don't freeze your account when you start making charges in another country.

Review all of the airlines regulations regarding what size baggage can fit as carry-on, if there are extra charges to check bags, what size liquid items you can bring and they have to fit in a certain size zip-loc bag.

If possible I would recommend just bringing a carry-on bag per person. No hassle with checking bags, losing luggage, extra cost, etc.

Wow, thanks guys. Definitely gave me some ideas that I hadn't thought about, exactly what I was looking for!

Gosh, I'm such an overpacker, it'd be amazing if we could get away with 2 carry ons, but maybe I should try for it. I'm going to go do some research on the airlines and luggage info.

Back