Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madip

As I’ve talked about many times I have been reaching out to a rescue for another chinchilla. She asked many questions about Sheldon’s diet and it seems him and taco eat the same things aside from treats.
The rescue has asked me not to feed taco any of the treats that Sheldon eats. I am worried about this because sheldon loves them and am not sure if they are actually good or okay for him to eat all thought all labeled for chinchillas or small animals.

I know a lot of things are sold with animals on them for advertisements and are actually not good and could be dangerous for our pets like all the plastic accessories and the balls for chinchillas.

How do I know what treats are okay and what treats aren’t???? How often should he get them? He seems to still eat his pellets and hay And I haven’t noticed any issues with him. I do know GI problems are common with chinchillas though.

When looking at treats (and food), no seeds, nuts, fruit, vegetables, animal products (dairy, eggs, meat, bones, hide, etc), also nothing high in sugar like honey. Seeds and nuts are both too high in fat and can cause issues like fatty liver disease. Fruits and veggies are too high in natural sugars which can cause liver and kidney damage and failure, tooth decay, diabetes, seizures, and even dried can cause gas, bloat, and diarrhea. Lastly chins are herbivores so obviously not designed to digest animal products 😉 . Some issues are not noticeable right away and take time to develop, like organ failure and diabetes can take years before you notice a problem. Most store bought treats at pet stores are unfortunately not safe. Here is a list of safe treats from a FB page I am on. Most treats no more then one a day, but things like oats , cheerios, shredded wheat) are better once or twice a week.

Apple Blossom
Bee Pollen (small pinch per week)
Blessed Thistle
Cactus Flower
Calendula
Carnation
Chamomile
Whole Dandelion (flower, stem, leaves, root)
Goji Berry (max 1x per month)
Hawthorne Berry
Hawthorne Leaf
Hibiscus
Honeysuckle
Jasmine
Lavender
Lemon Balm
Mallow
Marigold
Marshmallow Root
Milk Thistle
Mint
Nasturtiums
Oat Grout
Peony
Peppermint
Plain Cheerios (moderation)
Plain Shredded Wheat (moderation)
Poplar Buds
Purple Glove Clover
Raspberry Leaves
River Oats
Rolled Oats (moderation)
Rose Buds
Rose Petals
Rose Hips

Hi there! I was wondering if there are particular color of rose petals/buds that are recommended. I know it may seem like a stupid question...!

Hi there! I was wondering if there are particular color of rose petals/buds that are recommended. I know it may seem like a stupid question...!
Color doesn't matter you just have to make sure they are 100% organic, so for example not roses you get at a flower shop. Most people just get them from chinchilla supply vendors online or from organic food sections in stores, they are often used in tea so places that sell loose tea have them.

Back