Traveling with chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myminizooxo

Hello!
So I was wondering if I could put a leash and harness on my chin instead of putting her in a box so she doesn't get as hot. She's pretty good at sitting on my shoulders or laying in my arms. Shes only be in it for a car ride for check ups

There is no way to safely put a harness on a chin. They have very fragile bones and a floating rib cage so if you put the harness on tight enough that the chin couldn't escape it the risk of killing it would be very high. Just get a carrier, if it's not far then a hard plastic cat carrier works well. If it's a far trip or your chin is really focused on chewing the carrier, there are metal carriers you can buy. Here are some examples of small animal carriers or small cages you can use as a carrier.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Me-Tr...s=small+animal+carrier&qid=1610307780&sr=8-18
https://qualitycage.com/collections/chinchilla-products/products/single-cavy-carrier
https://www.amazon.com/Ware-Manufacturing-25-Inch-Proof-Critter/dp/B00266RHK2

Leashes/harnesses aren't safe for chins and please don't put your chin in a box either. Use a safe travel carrier for your chin and she will be fine. The wire mesh in chinchilla carriers allows for air circulation.

Yeah I didn't mean a box box I meant like one of those fabric material ones with the mesh at the doors... I guess they're called bags.

Yeah I didn't mean a box box I meant like one of those fabric material ones with the mesh at the doors... I guess they're called bags.

I'd recommend either getting a metal or full plastic travel cage, they are not allowed to have plastic, but most don't chew that plastic one too much and they get more coverage from the wind than the metal one, though if you are handy with fabric, you could possibly make a cover for the metal one during the times that it's VERY cold or windy outside, cause that could cause even more health issues..

Problem with the fabric one is that with a few bites through the even more toxic mesh, they could be running free..
It's super easy for them to escape from those, which is why I'd recommend getting a different carrier.. They are fine for cats, smaller dogs and hedgehogs, but for rodents I would not recommend it at all, might not even for ferrets either.

I have a similar problem as my exotics vet is 1 hour away. On top, my chin is pretty wild and a demolition machine, but despite all that I found out that a small plastic carrier does the job beautifully. My chin has a go at the carrier when I just put him in but when I say 'no' (he knows the meaning) he stops at once; also, as stated in another reply, the plastic of carrier pods is not that easy to chew. I found that putting some shredded paper as bedding helps: after a couple of jumps he just goes to sleep. On one occasion I even had to do it by train, with changes of lines. I was a little apprehensive but the chin could not have cared less.

Never, never even consider putting a harness of any type on a chinchilla. They have delicate, floating ribs and irreparable damage can occur, not to mention thoracic damage and stress.

It's great to see you're considering your chin's comfort during travel. Chinchillas are delicate animals, and the car environment can be unpredictable. It's best to consult with a veterinarian for specific advice. And don't take your pet to extreme tours like this one I took last year - https://altezza.travel/en/park/ngorongoro. It can be pretty stressful for an animal, though it's enjoyable for people. I hope that helps!

It's great to see you're considering your chin's comfort during travel. Chinchillas are delicate animals, and the car environment can be unpredictable. It's best to consult with a veterinarian for specific advice. And don't take your pet to extreme tours like this one I took last year - https://altezza.travel/en/park/ngorongoro. It can be pretty stressful for an animal, though it's enjoyable for people. I hope that helps!
This post is several years old.

My chin hates being cooped up in a box during car rides too. So, what I started doing is using a leash and harness, just like you're thinking. I found that it's much more comfortable for my little buddy, and he seems way less stressed. I've taken him on a few trips, and one of our recent adventures was to Cape Cod. It's such a lovely place, and I was worried about keeping him safe and happy during the journey.

My chin hates being cooped up in a box during car rides too. So, what I started doing is using a leash and harness, just like you're thinking. I found that it's much more comfortable for my little buddy, and he seems way less stressed. I've taken him on a few trips, and one of our recent adventures was to Cape Cod. It's such a lovely place, and I was worried about keeping him safe and happy during the journey.
Just so you know (as already mentioned in this thread) harnesses are not advised or safe AT ALL for chins, it's extremely dangerous and risky. They have very thin bones that can easily break, if you don't put it on tight enough they can easily escape, and if you put it on even a little bit too tight or they squirm at all while in it you can easily hurt or even kill them. So really not the good to use if you really actually care about the safety of your chin at all.

I stumbled upon this site Cape Cod, which has some great tips for pet-friendly travels in Cape Cod: Safe Is Cape Cod for Travel. I think it might give you some handy insights, especially since your chin will be in for a check-up.

I stumbled upon this site Cape Cod, which has some great tips for pet-friendly travels in Cape Cod: Safe Is Cape Cod for Travel. I think it might give you some handy insights, especially since your chin will be in for a check-up.
That site is useless, I see nothing about safely transporting chinchillas (or safely traveling with pets period), and since chins need such controlled environment there really is no chinchilla safe to take them on trips. Taking them outside on trips is risky so going out should be limited to going to and from the vet, chinchilla shows if you show them, or if you need to move from house to house, and always with the chin in an escape proof cage or carrier to limit the risks since there are way too many variables that you can't control like weather, other animals, and other people. The only exception would be if you have an RV that is outfitted with secure cage(s), AC, and back up generator, then it doesn't matter where you go since they would be living in the RV the whole time and only going outside briefly between the house and RV.

Back