Tractor supply pine

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigchinhamcat

I was curious if anyone knew if tractor supply's pine shavings/bedding was kiln dried. I use aspen but saw it amd was curious. Thanks

I bought Pine from Tactor Supply (It's called Premium Pet All Natural) and it is triple screened KILN DRIED. And it is only $5.99 for a large bag.

I use the TSC pine for all of my chins ( about 5-6 bags per week) and have never had any issues with it. They have two kinds, fine and flake, you want the flake ( white bag ) the fine is like shredded tree. This is no the premium pet kind, it's the kind that sits outside under the awning at our store that comes in on a pallet.

I use the TSC pine for all of my chins ( about 5-6 bags per week) and have never had any issues with it. They have two kinds, fine and flake, you want the flake ( white bag ) the fine is like shredded tree. This is no the premium pet kind, it's the kind that sits outside under the awning at our store that comes in on a pallet.

Just wondering why the flake instead of the fine? I have been getting the fine because I thought it would be softer for them. Should I switch?

Our fine here is like shredded wood, you literally think you'll get a sliver putting in pans, the flake is bigger and softer, absorbs better, and lasts longer.

Here is a pic of the two, I needed to unload pics anyway so why not?!

The left side is the flake, the right is the fine. We accidentally picked up a load of fine so it's here as a back up but I prefer not to use it.

woodshavings.jpg

I personally hate tsc bedding. I don't think it absorbs well at all, and half the time it feels damp. I prefer the topp bedding, in the paper bags. Its a little higher priced but absorbs better, and is softer. I use it from the chins to chickens to horses and the goats. Works for everyone :) . I've used tsc bedding in a pinch and I've noticed the chins just look like they need cleaned sooner, and have more of a smell when it's cleaning day.

I also won't use anything in a plastic bag when it comes to bedding.. So that's another reason why i won't use it unless I'm in a pinch for bedding.

currently using TSC bedding with no apparent issues - seems reasonably absorbent and the kids have not figured out a way to make nuclear weapons out of it... yet...

I wish we had the topp here, but we don't. I've searched through a lot of different kinds around trying to find the kind I really want, but can't find it. The places that will ship here only do a semi load at a time... which is more than I have storage for or need at a time, lol.

Ok that is not what our fine looks like here. It is yellowish and soft, well as much as wood can be soft. I use it for the chins, guinea pigs, rabbits and rats. I grab it with my hands and have never got a splinter or poked from it. Not that it matters but the fine comes in a yellow bag.

Yes the fine here comes in a yellow bag as well. They used to carry one I loved, but it was sporadic as to when they'd have them. It was soft like cotton when you grabbed it. If they could get that in that is what I'd go with for sure, but these are what they carry here. :(

The tsc here carried the fine similar to what nicoles does... I liked that even less then I did the flake.

The store near me has it the same way. Outside on a pallet. Every now and then they will have a few bags inside.

I personally hate tsc bedding. I don't think it absorbs well at all, and half the time it feels damp. I prefer the topp bedding, in the paper bags. Its a little higher priced but absorbs better, and is softer. I use it from the chins to chickens to horses and the goats. Works for everyone :) . I've used tsc bedding in a pinch and I've noticed the chins just look like they need cleaned sooner, and have more of a smell when it's cleaning day.

I also won't use anything in a plastic bag when it comes to bedding.. So that's another reason why i won't use it unless I'm in a pinch for bedding.

I noticed they seemed to need a bath more often as well.

I just switched everyone to fleece and buy aspen shaving for their litter pans.

I am very picky when I pick out my shavings, I've had them bring up a new pallet from in back if it's covered in snow or ice or shows any condensation inside the bag, and I tell them I'm not paying for wet shavings...

I wasn't happy with TSC shavings either. I've tried both. I too found they were not as absorbant, smelled on day 4, and just didn't do its job. I have also found the shavings always felt damp even after laying out for several days in the pan...they still felt damp. And lastly the last bag I picked up, opened up, the shavings were moldy. I try to only use the paper bag shavings. Never been disappointed in those.

Jessica

Back