TOV Whites.. I Adore Thee!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threewingedfury

<3 BIG and Blocky <3
I am a sucker for TOV Whites.. there's just something about them that drives me crazy.

Meet B69 - just turned 5 months old yesterday. I think I need to work on creating more of these guys (or gals)!

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0162-1.jpg

DSC_0174-1.jpg

DSC_0165-3.jpg

I love them too! That chinnie is soooo incredibly adorable BTW! So far I have two pairs set up with a BV and a white... More are planned...lol

I love the markings on him/her specially the face. I like to see how TOV white change in pattern/shading with time.

This line tends to throw awesome TOV markings and I love it. He's going to darken I'm sure, just like his brother who looked the exact same as he did when he was born. He looked like a black velvet when I first found him (couldn't see a bit of white underneath) but the fur texture just screamed "white" and then he began to lighten.

Picture of when he was just a couple weeks old:

417421_476152722412491_554958263_n.jpg

Here's his brother who is a couple years older:

DSC_0004-7.jpg

Their dam:

DSC_0009-7.jpg

AWESOME camera...the chins are pretty cute too ;) what are you shooting with BTW? And what is the best way to make a photo box...at some point I probably SHOULD do that!

I use a Nikon D40 DSLR with a 18-55mm VR lens, pretty simple and basic. Now, 95% of my photos turn out to be crap, most of it is the post-processing to get the color, brightness, etc right. I use show lights over my light box and I don't use flash.. a lot of photos come out very dark so I have to play with them.

I just used melamine boards from Lowes to make my box. Wish I had made it a bit larger because my chins tend to bounce off of my face since it's so small, but it works.

I'm a huge fan of the BV. Love your out-cross Tiffany. Now my Bv's better get cracking here and give me something cute ;)

Beautiful chin! I am really really confused about all these names, Wilson whites, standard whites, whites TOVs, mosaics. They all look the same to me, I only know how to tell the diff btw a pink white,..... Too obvious

Very nice looking! I've got one I'm growing out as well. It's always fun to see what spots they end up with as adults. :D

Genetically Wilson white, standard white, mosaic, silver...are all the same color. They produce pattern variation but are genotypically the same.

TOV white, ebony white, pink white...those are all crosses. A TOV white is black velvet x white, an ebony white is ebony x white and pink white is beige x white.

Tiffany- did the camera come with software or do you use an "outside" program, if so, what? I'm always lookin for good photo tips ;) I don't have a DSLR yet, but will at some point LOL!

We had male and female tov whites born out of a single litter. Not expecting them to be "show quality" but these are our first ever tov whites born here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353767553.395920.jpg

This is Shelbey. She was the result of a BV/White breeding. When I bought her and noticed this on her pedigree I specifically had to call Ralph back to see if she was TOV or not. She is NOT but she has cool markings and polka dots. I bred her back to a standard and she just had quads last week. Not a single one had spots. Next time I am going to breed her to a BV and I can't wait to see what happens....

Attachments

• SHELBEY5.jpg
    SHELBEY5.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 28
Pookin, whites are very good at hiding bv in their lines. She may be a tov white, the only way to know is to keep breeding her. I have a tov pink white who after 23 kits threw his 1st bv kit to a st female.

Tiffany- did the camera come with software or do you use an "outside" program, if so, what? I'm always lookin for good photo tips ;) I don't have a DSLR yet, but will at some point LOL!

No, I use just the basic Windows Live Gallery Viewer or Photoscape and depending on the laptop I'm on, Photoshop (I have it on one laptop, but cannot find the serial for the others, lol).

Tiff, those are some incredibly beautiful chins! Please don't hesitate to show them off more...I could look at them all day!!! :)

Pookin- I'm w/Dreamlite on this one. There really isn't a definitive way to tell if Shelbey is NOT TOV. Not sure why anyone would claim otherwise. This is half the reason I curb mutexmutexmute....pairings. You wind up with colors that you're just not sure of...and going by the excessive darkness of her spot, I would say that unless she also has ebony, TOV is a good possibility.

Here is a question and I am totally clueless on this one so sorry if these questions seem silly but this is something I have always wanted to understand a bit better...Isn't the TOV element totally seperate from color itself since it can be present all across the gammit of colors? I mean I know the dark head and paws are it's trademark but it can be a tricky thing with whites especially so is the only way to tell for sure is by proving it through breeding??? (Aside from chins like Tiffany's who present the TOV element in an obvious way). Why are the whites the only ones really like this??? Is there any correllation to the TOVxTOV White/White lethal factor issue?????? TOV Whites are the only combination that have both in common....

Back