Tooth trim

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahH18

Hey everyone! Hopefully I’m in the correct section. I need some advice on my chinchilla and her teeth. I have a 6 year old chinchilla who was recently (Jan 24) taken to the vet to have her teeth checked. She had stopped eating hay and started throwing her pellets out of her bowl which is very unusual for her. The vet was able to get her in for teeth trimming that same day, and she got her molars trimmed down. We came home and everything has been fine. Now, almost 8 weeks later, she has started throwing pellets out of her bowl again. Everything else is perfectly normal. I don’t want her to be in pain, but the vet said that I would need to bring her in every 12 weeks for trims and it just seems to early for her to be going back. Any advice or has anyone else experienced this?

Some chins teeth grow faster then others, due to diet, genetics, and chewing habits. So for some it might be every 12 weeks, but for others as little as every 4 if they don't go right back to chewing as much as normal and/or take awhile to recover.

Some chins teeth grow faster then others, due to diet, genetics, and chewing habits. So for some it might be every 12 weeks, but for others as little as every 4 if they don't go right back to chewing as much as normal and/or take awhile to recover.
Good to know! Thank you! Any advice on what to get to help with chewing? She has wooden chews and I’m purchasing more toys right now, but I’d appreciate any recommendations!

Good to know! Thank you! Any advice on what to get to help with chewing? She has wooden chews and I’m purchasing more toys right now, but I’d appreciate any recommendations!
If you don't know for sure her preference for chews it's best to get a variety of material, so some various types of chin safe wood, but also non wood items like lava chews (they come as ledges or chew toys) and pumice rocks, loofah, coconut shells, and palm leaf. I try to mix the softer chew things like loofah with harder things like wood, that way they have to chew some of the harder items too if they want the softer more stuff.

Back