Too hot for Chinzia?

Help Support Chins & Hedgies:

ARS3358

CnH Supporter
I got Chinzia in January. The weather stays cool and everything was good. Now the weather can go up and make the room (the only one we can keep her in) go up to the 80's during the day. Is there anything I can put in her cage to keep her cool enough?

Thanks.

Amethyst

Staff member
Chins can't sweat so the only way to keep them cool is to make sure the room temp is kept cool, below about 70F, anything over that they start to suffer heat stress which can lead to heat exhaustion, and above 75F can cause heat stroke and even death. An air conditioner is required for the room if you you can't keep the temp cool enough. Some other things you can do until you get an AC unit to help (this is really for temporary situation, normally like if the power goes out or the AC dies) would be to cover the windows so no sunlight comes in that can heat up the room (windshield reflector material works well) and use cold tiles and frozen bottles of water. Put several cooling tiles ( like these https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Chinchilla-Chiller-Granite-Stone/dp/B000A7707O ) in the fridge and have a couple in the cage, and change them out every hour or so throughout the day as they warm up, until the temp is back down below 70, assuming she will sit on them (not all chins do even if hot) that can help. You can also use several fleece covered frozen bottles of water around the cage to cool the air in the cage, make sure you keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't chew them or get wet and change them out as they thaws. Again though the frozen water bottles only help at all if the chin will sit near enough to them, not all chins will.

Just keep in mind that just because she has survived the heat so far does not mean it hasn't done any harm (every time she is in hot temps she is literally cooking, which causes organ damage) or that she will even survive the next time. Chins have died in temps as low as 72F, especially if active at all, that is why I recommend below 70, I keep my room around 68F.

Jawramik

Unfortunately, if your home gets above 75F or so, there's really no way around the fact that an air conditioner is a life-saving necessity for chins. I know it's a considerable expense, but it's just like making sure you have a safe, properly-sized cage and the right kind of food. It's a necessary investment to give them the care they need to survive.

The cheapest option is probably a small window unit, followed by those portable units that look like plastic boxes on wheels. Those tend to be pretty energy-efficient, so they shouldn't jack up your power bill too much if you only turn them on when necessary. I have one of the portable units (my chin's in the living room, so the room is too large to be cooled by a cheaper window unit) and I've found it to be easy to install and use, and easy to uninstall and store away when I don't need it. I'm fortunate that the room where I keep my chin stays unusually cool even when it's hot outside (recently I panicked a bit when it got into the mid 90s while I was at work, and I hadn't turned on the AC that morning because it wasn't predicted to get that warm, but when I got home, I fortunately found that it hadn't gotten above 72F in the room where my chin lives). Even so, I'm glad I have the AC, because when summer hits and it's not cooling off as much at night, even that room will likely get too warm for her without AC.

If your chin is in a smaller room like a bedroom, a window unit would probably be the most cost-effective option. They're cheaper than the portables and don't take up as much space. If Chinzia is in larger room like a living room, then a portable is probably your best bet. They're a little more bulky and expensive, but they're usually more powerful than window units. They're also easier to install and uninstall, so you could store it in a closet or something in the winter if you didn't want it taking up space when you're not using it.

Chinmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
She never did seem too hot. But, since I got the a/c it has been cold and we haven't needed it yet.
That's great, hope she stays that way and is able to adapt to temperature changes. Thanks for the reply.