To Heat Or Not To Heat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldnt really recommend a heater... Unless it is impossible to keep the area warm. Hedgehog can tolerate high levels of heat.. that's for sure.. However, if you ever do lose electricity your hedgehog might not be able to tolerate the big change in temperature. I keep the area around 22-23 and the breeder had her rooms fairly cool... Now I am not saying to forget about temperature (you dont want him to go into hibernation). Good rule of thumb is if you are comfortable in your tshirt then the temp is probably ok.

Thanks :) That's what we decided to do since we had no idea about the heater. It's good to know we did the right thing!

The goal is to keep your hedgie consistently warm... around 74 to76F (varies by hedgehog and by age - older seem to need it warmer than younger hedgies). You can use one method or a combination of methods.

Put thermometer or two in your hedgie's cage... in all the places hedgies runs, sleeps, plays, etc... Check to see how much they vary by location and over time (like if they dip during the night). If you're seeing differences by more than few degrees or something out of a decent range for a hedgie (like 72F and under... or over 78F), then you'll need to make changes.

It's also good to have a back-up plan ready to launch if your primary heat sources dies. For exmple, my hedgie's thermostat died. I put in hand warmers and upped the temp of the whole house until I got a room heater. Then I heated the room until the new thermostat arrived. I now have a spare themostat.

The problem was that we're keeping it around 74 in the house right now, but at night I usually put it way down because I sweat if I don't. We're keeping her in our room for now, and this is the room at is either hot or cold. Getting a thermometer is a great idea, just so I can make sure everything's where it should be. Miss Kay seems ok, but I just want to make sure everything's just right for her.

I plug my heat lamp into a thermometer than shuts off and comes back on to keep temp consistent. I love it!

Good rule of thumb is if you are comfortable in your tshirt then the temp is probably ok.

This is a very outdated and misleading statement that unfortunately still gets passed on. Everyone is different as to what temperature they feel comfortable at. For example, I'm very comfortable in a tshirt at 65F, yet it's a very rare hedgehog that can tolerate 65.

The majority of hedgehogs seem to do best at 74 or 75F. Some are fine a bit cooler, but some require as much as 78F. :)

Last edited:
Try ceramic heat bulbs so it heats only your hedgies cage instead of the whole room. Use thermometers to make sure it's covering the whole area and you should get a thermostat to plug it in to so it shuts off if it reaches a certain temp. You can get all of this in the reptile section.

Hedgies really should have heat if you don't keep the house in the mid 70s. Hedgies are different just like people and with age they become more sensitive. It might turn out your hedgie tries to hibernate below 80F while someone else's is fine until 68F. Most though prefer it in the mid 70s. Even if they can tolerate lower would you like to be slightly cold all the time. It makes them come out of their warm houses and exercise less.

Back