Tips on adjusting chin to new cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiovanniMoore

Hello!

So I am getting my chinchilla, Zero, a wider cage so that he has more room to climb and run, and I just want some outside ideas on how to make him more comfortable in the new cage.
I have new platform covers, so that he doesn't hurt his feet when he jumps up and down from ledges, but they are brand new and letting them sit ontop of his cage so they sort of smell like his area, I don't plan on putting them in immediately so that he doesn't get overwhelmed.

I am planning on moving all of the stuff in his cage right now into his new cage and keeping them in the same area (for example, he has a hiding-hut on the ground floor on his cage on the left, that'll be in the same place in his new cage) and slowly integrating new things as time goes on (new platforms, new huts, new small snuggle plushies, ect).

Usually Zero is really good about this and gets really excited about change, so I know he'll be happy, but I just wanted ideas!

Thank you!

It sounds like you are doing it right, move as much of his old stuff from his current cage into the new one so the cage still smells like him, then slowly replace things that need replacing. Some chins love exploring a new cage and new things, so really there isn't much to do the make them more comfortable since they are happy about it. The only tip I can think of is, if when you start removing or replacing things he seems unhappy try to go slower and make sure he is ok with say the new hut for example before you toss the old one.

Honestly, I didn't do much to "prepare" my chin for cage switches. I just transferred some stuff from her old cages like hammocks, hides, litterbox, etc. and then just kind of tossed her into the new cage with the new stuff, haha.

I've changed her cage twice. She was an unexpected rescue, so for the first couple days I had her, I had to put her in a too-small cage that was the best I could do on short notice. Then I got her a used Feisty Ferret, which was fine but kind of annoying to clean, so about a month later I took advantage of a Black Friday sale and splurged on a Ferret Nation cage, which is by far the best cage I've ever used. My chin is pretty bold and exploratory, and as far as I could tell, she wasn't overly stressed by the changes. She just seemed excited to have more space and to have new things to explore.

Honestly, I didn't do much to "prepare" my chin for cage switches. I just transferred some stuff from her old cages like hammocks, hides, litterbox, etc. and then just kind of tossed her into the new cage with the new stuff, haha.

I've changed her cage twice. She was an unexpected rescue, so for the first couple days I had her, I had to put her in a too-small cage that was the best I could do on short notice. Then I got her a used Feisty Ferret, which was fine but kind of annoying to clean, so about a month later I took advantage of a Black Friday sale and splurged on a Ferret Nation cage, which is by far the best cage I've ever used. My chin is pretty bold and exploratory, and as far as I could tell, she wasn't overly stressed by the changes. She just seemed excited to have more space and to have new things to explore.

Zero is very much the same way! He seems to always love new experiences and this would be his second cage change since I had a similar experience to yours. His first cage didn't allow for a lot of climbing and only had one layer, but with this change, since it's not a major change (this new cage will just be a bit wider and taller) I wanted to see if there is anything I should do, because I don't think he'll actually register that this cage has more room, it's only a few more inches in width and height.
I will carry over his old hammocks after a good lint roll, and his food/hay bowl and water bottle. The only thing I may change immediately is his wheel as it's been broken for a while (he chewed and stretched the plastic around the bolt that let's it spin and there is a zip tie around the bolt making sure it doesn't just fall out when he runs), but I think he'll enjoy the new experience like yours did!
He likes the cage he's in, but it's not wide enough to put anything like huts and the like on any of the platforms, and the platforms have lips so brushing out poops is impossible, I usually let him out so I can vaccume them, this new one has flat platforms so I can just brush them into a dustpan, and I think he'll be happy he doesn't have to kick them around at night!

Just as a note, plastic can be really dangerous for them to chew, so it's best to not have any plastic in their cage. Things like the bottom pans of the cage, or even plastic platforms and ramps, can be covered in fleece, which usually keeps them from chewing it, but if his wheel is plastic, I'd really recommend just removing the wheel, especially since he's definitely chewing it. If they swallow a piece that's jagged, or that's the wrong size or shape, it can cause intestinal blockages and/or serious internal damage. Since chins are such voracious chewers, it's usually a good rule to just avoid anything plastic in their cages, especially if it can't be encased in fleece.

Chins don't need a wheel, but if he likes running on a wheel, the best material is metal (usually either stainless steel and/or aluminum). Wood, so long as it's a chew-safe wood, is also safe, but won't last as long as a metal wheel (pee can seep into it, and if you ever have any issues with parasites or fungal infections, you couldn't sanitise a wood wheel and would have to just toss it and replace it). Aside from making sure it's a safe material, you also want to make sure it's large enough (at least 15 inches in diameter, though 16" is even better), and make sure the running surface is solid (no mesh or holes), and that it's open, nothing that's enclosed or has any cross beams or anything like that.

Here are a few good options:

https://qualitycage.com/products/15...oWZcdFFJu2GI3fm2R1h2rew7Pk_SHvdxoC6zcQAvD_BwE
https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Pro...ariantId=5453cc7a-6529-42e0-b07e-70a22de00af3(The Treadmill has a smaller diameter, but because of the different design, I'm pretty sure it's still okay.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/460582308/best-16-basic-non-silent-wheels-free?gpla=1&gao=1&
Pandamonium Pets, the Etsy shop in the last link, has a few different styles of chin-safe wheels. I've never used them myself, but I've heard really good things about them, and they're probably the most affordable option. I've ordered some other things from that shop (hammocks, chews, hides, bridges, etc.) and have always been very impressed with their chin products.

Just as a note, plastic can be really dangerous for them to chew, so it's best to not have any plastic in their cage. Things like the bottom pans of the cage, or even plastic platforms and ramps, can be covered in fleece, which usually keeps them from chewing it, but if his wheel is plastic, I'd really recommend just removing the wheel, especially since he's definitely chewing it. If they swallow a piece that's jagged, or that's the wrong size or shape, it can cause intestinal blockages and/or serious internal damage. Since chins are such voracious chewers, it's usually a good rule to just avoid anything plastic in their cages, especially if it can't be encased in fleece.

Chins don't need a wheel, but if he likes running on a wheel, the best material is metal (usually either stainless steel and/or aluminum). Wood, so long as it's a chew-safe wood, is also safe, but won't last as long as a metal wheel (pee can seep into it, and if you ever have any issues with parasites or fungal infections, you couldn't sanitise a wood wheel and would have to just toss it and replace it). Aside from making sure it's a safe material, you also want to make sure it's large enough (at least 15 inches in diameter, though 16" is even better), and make sure the running surface is solid (no mesh or holes), and that it's open, nothing that's enclosed or has any cross beams or anything like that.

Here are a few good options:

https://qualitycage.com/products/15...oWZcdFFJu2GI3fm2R1h2rew7Pk_SHvdxoC6zcQAvD_BwE
https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Pro...ariantId=5453cc7a-6529-42e0-b07e-70a22de00af3(The Treadmill has a smaller diameter, but because of the different design, I'm pretty sure it's still okay.)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/460582308/best-16-basic-non-silent-wheels-free?gpla=1&gao=1&
Pandamonium Pets, the Etsy shop in the last link, has a few different styles of chin-safe wheels. I've never used them myself, but I've heard really good things about them, and they're probably the most affordable option. I've ordered some other things from that shop (hammocks, chews, hides, bridges, etc.) and have always been very impressed with their chin products.
Thank you so much! He's recently not run in his wheel too much (only to make noise if he wants my attention when I walk by) so I may try to use that space for something else!

Thank you for the advice!

Yeah, if he's not using it much, you may as well use that space for something else. Chin wheels are huge! They do take up an awful lot of real estate in the cage.....and on top of that, the good, safe wheels are pretty pricey, so if your boy isn't that into using the wheel, then there's really no point in spending the money and taking up all that cage space.

While many chins do enjoy wheels (mine certainly does), they're not like hedgehogs or hamsters that need a wheel.

Back