Tiny baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KujoSutefanii

My baby Sugar will be turning 4 months next week. I had a previous thread about her being so small. I'm still not sure if she's just a runt or a dwarf but so far her growth is still very slow. I weighed her this morning and she was 194 grams at almost 4 months old.

I included some pics for you all to see her size difference. I also put her next to her mother for comparison. Her mom is a 638 gram female.

Sugar still eats and drinks fine and is a little ball of energy.

20130813_150234_2_bestshot.jpg

20130813_151451.jpg

20130813_151538.jpg

20130813_150829_6_bestshot.jpg

20130813_151902.jpg

I am having the same issue right now with a rescued kit. She is 11 weeks old and 135 grams. She will not grow! I don't have any information on the father so I'm not quite sure what to think or do.

In my opinion, she is just small. True dwarves have a peculiar gait and shortened feet. Her feet appear to be normal length/size.

Firstly, I'd check your scales. She looks bigger than 194g to be honest.

Some kits stay small for ages but then have compensatory gain - suddenly they pack on the weight & have a growth spurt. Some chins are just small.

If she is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping & generally looking ok I would just continue with her normal regime.

No advice, sorry, I just wanted to say that Sugar and her mommy are both beautiful :)

I agree with Claire, she looks bigger than 194 grams.

Dwarves have a unique hobbling gait when they move. They tend to have short smooshy faces and very wide set ears, much wider hips than front ends as well.

She actually looks like my little Lola when she was about 4-5 months old. Lola is still on the small side but is lively and thriving at 1yr 3 mo old.

As stated in the previous thread, Lola went through a growth spurt at around a year and grew quite a bit but is still smaller than some of the chins I have seen. She has actually kept some of her baby chin look which is actually really cute.

As long as your little one is thriving, enjoy.

They are both really beautiful.

I, too, think that she is bigger than that. Either mom is smaller than 600ish grams or the baby is bigger than just under 200 grams. I would try a different scale and see if you get the same results.

Back