Time to wean?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrosler04

I was reading the FAQ's & saw that baby Males should be weaned at 8 weeks old. My babies are 8 weeks old as of yesterday.

So I guess that means when I get home from work tomorrow, it's time to seperate them from thier momma. She is NOT going to be happy with me! She is super protective & nips me everytime I put my hand in the cage, and kaks at me also! LOL

I now plan to attempt to introduce her to another female & try to pair them up, and then put the kits in a cage together until I decide what to do wtih them. I have a friend who wants a chinchilla, but I am not sure I will be able to part with the boys, being that I have been with them since day 1 !! ;)

I am going to post new pics later this week, just to get someone to verify the colors, I THINK they are both Medium Ebony, but not sure. I am still learning as a I go here... and I definately appreciate this forum & everyone here for helping me out along the way! :)

yes you'll want to remove the males from her cage because at 8 or 9 weeks they can impregnate her. Just make sure they are at a healthy weight and are eating on their own. They should be fine though.

As for introducing the mom to a new female, just make sure you read up on intros and be patient with it. Good luck! can't wait to see the new pics!

Thanks, They will be getting thier own cage tomorrow. I REALLY hope the girls can get along.

Do you think it would be possible to introduce the babies to thier dad & older brother who live together? or would 4 males in a large cage be too much?

And, at this age, is it safe for them to have ledges & perches?

I am so full of questions. I probably should have posted this under the general chat section.

I would give mom a couple of weeks to adjust to the absence of babies before you try to put in a new female- assuming you have quarantined this new female already - I have found its easier to reintroduce mates this way.

Depends on how big the cage is - with enough space and airflow and food and water access you should be able to do it. The 8 week old can have ledges just make sure they aren't too high and are spaced well - they are clumsy for a few weeks but will get the hang of it.

Thanks, I definately do strict quarantines. I do animal rescue, and learned the hard way about not quarantining new animals (we lost one of our personal dogs due to a foster bringing in kennel cough & him developing pnemonia)

ALL new animals brought to our home are quarantined.

I have 3 babies who are just a week or so older than yours and they're doing fine with the ledges. Make sure that the spacing between ledges, floor and hammock (s) aren't too wide though. I made some extra hammocks and laid them throughout the cage, but after a week of being in there they've seemed to get the hang of it...for the most part ;)

I agree about waiting a bit for mom. Read up on the intros...an intro done correctly won't happen over night. and post some pics already!!!

Thanks so much for all the advice! Much needed & appreciated! :)

I will do some photos tomorrow. I get off work at 2 pm, gotta charge my camera, take photos, upload pics to my HOME PC, then transfer them to a flash drive then onto my laptop, which is the only computer with net access... I live in the middle of nowhere, and we can't get high speed, so I get to use dial up to upload the photos..yay! :)

I have photos I took about 4 weeks ago, but I will just wait to post current pics, as they have grown SO much!

Back