Thoughts on this cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

I am getting a new chinchilla hopefully soon, and my friend offered to give me her old cage which is this cage-

http://www.ferretdepot.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60248

What do you guys think about this cage? I know I have to switch out the plastic for wood, but is it hard to clean and are the bars sturdy for a wheel? (I am planning on putting a silver surfer in it). Thanks in advance!

And is it an okay size for 2 chins?

If it's free, you can't beat that price.

However, it will be hard to clean with the small doors, and you will have to lift the whole wire section off each time to clean out the bottom. Once you add wooden shelves and aa wheel, that is going to be HEAVY. Something to consider.

I have seen people do two chins in that cage before, but in my opinion it will be a little too crowded for them to get along (long-term) in a cage that size. When you have a pair, space is your best friend, lol. They need to be able to get away from each other sometimes.

That's just my two cents. Hope it helps!

Which would be better for 2 chins in your opinion: Half of a critter nation or this cage?

This cage, definetly. I have one chin in half a FN and I think that is a bit too small, honestly....

Is she asking $$$ for this one, or is it free? If you are paying her for it, we might could help you find a better deal on a bigger cage somewhere. I would be willing to help you with research.

I am honesty not completely sure yet, she is on vacation right now and can't use her phone but I will be sure to ask her when she comes home. I don't think she will ask for anything, but if she does it won't be much. Thank you for offering to help!

Okay, thanks! I'll talk to her when she gets home and I'll email you to let you know! :)

I have both a critter nation and one of these cages your looking at. the super pet one is just okay, i got it for free and it was fine for that price but I don't think I would spend money buying one of them. I have two chins in it but I am going to move them out to either a ferret nation or a critter nation as soon as I find a good used one. the super pet cage came to me with some wires already broken so I had to patch the holes with hardware cloth. I'm not sure if it would be strong enough to hold a wheel as I don't have one in mine, but there really isn't space for a wheel in there. Cleaning it is a pain the butt since you have to lift the whole cage off the plastic base in order to clean it properly. I have other pairs who live in one section of a critter nation and they are perfectly fine. That is plenty of space for them, although I really do prefer it when a pair can have the whole run of both sections of the critter nation. If it were me though, I'd take the free cage and keep it as a space just in case something happens and you need to split them apart for a time, or so that way you have a place to put them when you are spending a great deal of time cleaning a cage. Its had to beat having a spare cage handy.

I have set up a couple of these cages for people who have adopted from me.

Here's one of them to give you an idea.
IMG_1523.jpg

here is also another similar, though larger, cage.
IMG_1835.jpg

I have set up a couple of these cages for people who have adopted from me.

Here's one of them to give you an idea.
IMG_1523.jpg

here is also another similar, though larger, cage.
IMG_1835.jpg

really nice what you did with the cage essentia

if you did some extra shelves across like that mookie it would give the cage some added support!

if you did some extra shelves across like that mookie it would give the cage some added support!

That's the exact reason I did shelves all the way across like that. These aren't the sturdiest cages, and putting the shelves all the way across helped tremendously.

Thanks for all these anwers! Also Essentia, have you tried to put a wheel in them? With the shelves, do you think it'd be okay?

I actually have 2 of the SuperPet cages stacked on top of one another, with the plastic bottom on the top one no longer there, making a cage that is well over 6ft tall. My husband did it in a way that it is very sturdy. I have 3 chins in it currently and they LOVE it.

That's a cool idea! I bet the chins love it!

And Oh yeah I just looked back on the cage and I see the wheel!

1/2 of a critter nation is too small for two chins? Don't tell my chins that! I have a colony of 4 in one half... I may end up with a revolt!

I think 1/2 of a CN is totally sufficient for two chins. We always want to give our chins more space and I do have a huge Quality Cage Mansion for my trio, but they usually just hang out together at the top of the cage or at the bottom...they would probably be fine in a smaller cage but I like spoiling them. That superpet cage isn't the best and you might find issues with it, wishing you had gotten a better cage. I just bought a 1/2 CN for my single chin and trust me, it's pretty big! Plus, you can always upgrade and buy the add-on, making it a double, if it truly seems too small. I bought my 1/2 CN through ferret.com using the coupon code CJFROFFR which ended up giving me about $15 off.

Which one is larger, the 1/2 cn or this cage? I think I am going to take this cage for when I first get my new chin and thn when it comes time for intros if I can bind my two males, I am unsure if I should put them in this cage or my current chins 1/2 of the cn. I have two chins right now in the other half of the cn (castrated male and female) and if I was going to put the new one and my current boy in the new cage I was going to give my male/ female the whole cn and maybe when I do deep cleanings switch it up (males in cn others in newer cage) what do you think about this? Should I do this or? I still haven't talked to the girl giving me the new cage quite yet though

The superpet cage is 24x24x37 and the 1/2 CN is 36x24x37 but the 37 inch high dimension includes the stand. They are both roomy though the superpet cage does have more upward movement space which is what most chins prefer. I wouldn't get the superpet cage because of the plastic and the unsturdy nature of it but it seems many are happy with them so it comes down to personal preference. If you are going to have 4 chins why not just buy the double CN unit and then put a pair in the top, and a pair in the bottom. You will save space and there won't be a need for switching.

Okay I already have the double unit cn I have my pair on the bottom and single chin on the top. I guess I'll just put both boys on the top half if/ when I bond them. I will probably take her cage to use for quarantine and during introductions if it's minimum to no charge and then put them in their half of the cn when they are ready to move in together

Back