Those who use lag bolts for ledges, what size do you use?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinChin3

I'm looking to use lag bolts (I have children, and an accident prone hubby... safer not to have long bolts sticking out of the sides of the cage LOL) to hang my newly made ledges. I was looking at the stainless steel options on bolt depot (better safe then sorry I decided, going to stay clear of anything not stainless)... anyways I was wondering what size/length most of you used? I think I'm going to go with the 1/4" since many people use 1/4 hanger bolts, but should I go with 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" etc for length? I might add another 1x piece of lumber as a poo guard so maybe longer is better?

Thanks for any opinions!

iv never used lag bolts before, but i do use 1.5" hanger bolts. So thats about 3/4" into a single piece of wood. I personally wouldn't like going in any less. I want a nice firm grip form bolt to wood since chins will be jumping around on them.

Thank you for the response, I think I'm going to go with 2.5" since I think I'll add another piece for the guard, I assume the more that is in the lumber the better.

Back