This Poor Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KrisLynn

I stop by a local pet shop (a Mom & Pop shop) periodically to see the chinchillas they have and lately one has stuck out to me. He's a mosaic and as a of late his entire back end is almost completely bald. It's been gradually getting worse - however the note on the cage says his "wife" beat him up.

There is no way that is possible...this chinchilla is NEVER with another chinchilla. I've never seen what fur chewing looks like but I'm guessing this is it. Plus they are using him for breeding. It's just a bad/sad situation.

I live in Rochester NY - is there any place I can call or e-mail or write or ANYTHING to try and get this chin out of there? I should add that he isn't up for adoption because "they love him too much". Thank you soo much.

Last edited:
Maybe call the Humane Society or The Animal Rescue League? I am not sure who else you could get involved.

Humane society should help or at least point you in the right direction.

have you tried talking to them about it????

I think I might have a good pic of fur chewing somewhere *runs off*

if not I know someone on her must...

Fur chewing or even fungus....how does the skin look under the bald area?

I looked up pictures of fur chewing...and they mainly look pretty patchy. This chins fur on his whole back and rump is VERY short and uneven. The fur on his body is so short and choppy looking it makes his head (which isn't missing any fur) look huge. However, his skin doesn't look to bad.

I should have added that he is in a glass aquarium with what looks to have no ventilation. I've kindly spoken to the owner before and all I was told was "We take great care of all our chinchillas."

Just out of curiousity, I'm from Rochester too... which pet store is it?

You might need to team up with another chinchilla buddy to help educate this place.

I have the contact info for a few chin breeders/people in Rochester.

I looked up pictures of fur chewing...and they mainly look pretty patchy. This chins fur on his whole back and rump is VERY short and uneven. The fur on his body is so short and choppy looking it makes his head (which isn't missing any fur) look huge. However, his skin doesn't look to bad.

I should have added that he is in a glass aquarium with what looks to have no ventilation. I've kindly spoken to the owner before and all I was told was "We take great care of all our chinchillas."

Sounds like fur chewing from your description and it also sounds like the owners need some sense beating into them. :rolleyes:

Here are some pictures, as well as some beating pictures further down. If it is even hair loss across the rump, then the chin didn't do it himself. Most likely it was a breeding fight.

There isn't anything you can do, beatings just happen. They have every right to breed him and keep him. There is no wrong in that, regardless of wether or not they own a pet store.

I mean, I wouldn't have any of the pictures on my site if I hadn't run into/experienced it in person. Only have two images from others, a malo shot and kidney stones.

My sister lives in Rochester and called me about that. poor thing, but really unless the petstore wants to sell him nothing can be done. If he is provided with food, water and shelter they are within the legal limits

Back