This is Orichiku!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, Lissy. He's so cute! Is he in a cage?:)

The lady I adopted him from said Tan, but he looks Grey to me. And he has pink eyes.
He looks pretty cool. Having pink eyes is pretty nice too, isn't it?

The lady I adopted him from said Tan, but he looks Grey to me. And he has pink eyes.

If his belly is the same color he would be a tan, greys are grey with a white belly. The pink or red eyes is common for tan and beige chins too, beige look like yours only they have a white belly.

Here is my standard grey chin, his name is Wicket.

WicketStandardGrey.jpg

I am having a problem with dust baths. He will roll and do the dust bath motions on towels, the slate stone, carpet, but not in the dust. It's almost like he needs to see another chinchilla do it to understand that's a thing. I've been putting him in a smaller cage lined with dust and having to cover him in it and rub it in best I can. I also put some dust on one of the towels he likes and he just rolls on the edge, avoiding the pile. Are there any other things I can try to get him to understand how to bathe in dust on his own?

I am having a problem with dust baths. He will roll and do the dust bath motions on towels, the slate stone, carpet, but not in the dust. It's almost like he needs to see another chinchilla do it to understand that's a thing. I've been putting him in a smaller cage lined with dust and having to cover him in it and rub it in best I can. I also put some dust on one of the towels he likes and he just rolls on the edge, avoiding the pile. Are there any other things I can try to get him to understand how to bathe in dust on his own?
This might sound weird, but I swear it worked for me. Show him videos of chinchillas having dust baths.

Or perhaps putting a very small amount of dust (or dust on a face towel) inside a bath house? Bath houses seem to be irresistible to chins (mine tries jump in in even when it is empty and standing on the wrong side) and, because the bottom is curved, rolling in it comes quite naturally.
Hope it works with the video, though: the idea is pure genius.

Back