Thinking about new dust house cont...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Hi guys. Recently I posted about getting a better dust house and someone mentioned great idea of pickle jar. Just wondering where you guys that mentioned this where you got it. I looked at wal mart but the opening looked so small for them to get in. Not sure if it was the gallon size because I forgot that was mentioned but it was a pretty big jar...thank you again so much

I actually got my pickle jar from work. We have a cafeteria that feeds over 1000 people in 24 hrs. I would look at Sam's Club or CostCo, maybe even Gordon's Food Supply if you are near any of those. Works very well, I screw the lid on when my chin is done and store it under his FN. Believe me, as much as they love their dust bath they will fit through the opening.:thumbsup:

They fit just fine. I use 3 pickle jars to dust my chins. they are mostly hair so they fit in some very small spaces.

I got a gallon of pickles at the grocery store the other day, just for the jar. I needed it to make kombucha in. It was about $8 and I gave the pickles away on freecycle. You can also post an ad on freecycle of craigslist asking if anyone has one to give.

I use a candy jar from Wal-mart for my dust though, it's plenty big for one chin to spin, and two to squeeze into, and three to get stuck in. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-1-Gal-Penny-Candy-Jar/16486708

Thank you guys so much....i will check out those places. And yes I guess they are lil fuzzy butts mostly. I love their fuzzy butts though! Lol...:)

I use the same candy jar for my girls to take they're baths in. I've yet to see them all 3 fit in but I've heard them try it! I think I'm going to try to get the pickle jar or at least take a good look at one. I'd like to see them all in it at the same time.

Thirding the penny candy jar. But, if you're going to walmart, check the dishware section for a huge pasta bowl. I found one with a 12" diameter that's about 4" tall that they LOVE. It doesn't contain the dust quite as well, but if you have a chunky chin, they might like the extra room. For my littler guy, I have a fish bowl with a pedestal style bottom, but glass that's mostly closed up is definitely the way to go. Those plastic "dust houses" are cute, but super easy to chew and hard to get all the dust out of to clean/change it. (One of mine pees in it when he gets the chance. :( )

Back