Think it's about time to let Smudge go...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackie

I bite.
I know I don't post much about my chins these days but I know some of you that have been around for awhile know my guy Smudge, so I just wanted to share with everyone.

I haven't really talked much about his teeth issues, I think I've mentioned it a few times, but for a couple years now he has had problems with spurs on his back molars and has had to go in every 5-6 months for filings. He had x-rays every filing that never showed any root involvement. Usually he let me know he was due by starting to ignore his hay. If he ignored his hay for a few days it was his cue that he was due for a filing. After the filings he would always bounce back to his normal self and go back to eating hay.

For his last filing a couple months ago in March, I noticed he was ignoring his hay but he was also only eating half of a pellet and leaving the other half, and noticed his eyes starting to weep. We got x-rays again and this time saw that he may have mild elongation starting. The vet went ahead and filed and decided that we would keep an eye on him to see how he does.

He bounced back like he usually does but he is already showing symptoms again. Over the past few days his eyes have gotten weepy, and when I watched him eat this morning he was mouth swiping after each bite and dropping the pellet. He even started running away from the bowl after each bite as if he was scared of it. He hasn't touched his hay in a week despite me trying all kinds of different varieties. He is even turning down Stacey's famous chin cookies.

I made an appointment with his vet for Wednesday and will more than likely help him over the bridge. He was my third chin and I have had him since 2006, he has been through a lot with me. Everyone who knows Smudge knows his strong and bratty personality with his signature eyebrow. I just wanted to share with everyone here because I know he had quite a few fans.

I am so sorry to hear this, please take care and know everyone who has had to make this tough decision is there for you if you need us.

I am sorry. I went through this with my Chilli. When he didn't bounce back after a filing, I kept feeding him CC and figured as long as he was taking his meds and gobbling up the CC, he was okay. I had talked with the vet and she suggested maybe she missed some spurs that had appeared after the gum inflammation reduced and that was why he wasn't bouncing back. I had him scheduled for another filing and the morning of his appointment, I had him out for a playtime and dust bath. I watched him play and decided that I would rather remember him that way, I just knew in my heart another filing wasn't the way to go. I called the vet when they opened and changed his appointment to a euthanasia. I cried but I knew it was the humane thing to do. Those tooth issue chins sure do seem harder to say goodbye to, after all the extra care and bonding we do with them.

I am not familiar with your little guy, but I am so sorry to hear that you and he are going through this :cry3: it must be such a hard decision to make and my heart is broken for you and your little friend :broken:

So sorry you have to make this hard decision. I'm close to it myself with my Gizzie and it is the hardest thing I've had to do. I just can't seem to let go.

You know we are all here for you if/when you need us gal! It's a tough decision to make but just the fact that you are already thinking about it tells that your fellow is trying to prepare you.We take care of them as much as they take care of us.

That is so sad to hear, good luck I hope everything works out ok. We all count or blessings for every moment we have/had with them. They are so wonderful and its why it hurts so much.

Oh Stack! I'm so sorry. We are here for you. Give Smudge a big kiss from me.

Back