Things toxic to hedgehogs

Nancy

Hooked on Hogs
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
1,620
Location
Kingston, Ontario
NOTE: This is only a partial list and just because something is not mentioned on this list, does not mean it is safe.

Grapes - are toxic to most small animals including hedgehogs. They cause renal, liver and organ failure.
Raisins - are not only toxic but can get caught in the roofs of their mouths.

Tea Tree oil - this includes, tea tree shampoo, tea trea oil, tea tree sprays and anything tea tree. This can be fatal in as little as one dose or application. It causes renal, liver and complete organ failure.

Avocados - Many people feel avocados are toxic, others feel they are safe. Personally, I would not risk it.

Ivermectin - Injected ivermectin has been the cause of many hedgehog deaths yet it has also been widely used on many hedgehogs with no problem. When a safe alternative is available, Revolution, it is simply not worth the risk to use ivermectin.
Topical and oral ivermectin has been linked to an increased risk of bladder cancers.

Nuts & seeds - can get caught in the roofs of their mouth and there is a risk of them digging an eye out will trying to claw out the nut. Nuts are fattening and provide minimal nutritional benefit.

Chocolate

Milk, dairy products - hedgehogs are lactose intolerant and cannot digest dairy. Leads to upset stomach and diarrhea.

Junk food of all types - for the same reasons it is unhealthy for humans

Ethoxyquin
BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) -"Toxic" may not be the right word here, but the following artificial preservatives in pet food are suspected to cause serious health issues in animals including cancer, kidney disease, birth defects, liver disease, and so on. Read the labels on the food and avoid them if the products contain any of the followings:

Polysporin and Neosporin Pain Relief or Extra Strength - Regular original Polysporin is safe to use. Any other formulas are toxic.
 
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1
Location
West Monroe, Louisiana
Grape "skins" are toxic to animals causing renal failure, not the grapes them self.
Avocados have toxin around the seed and around the inside of the outer skin. It was discovered when they were fed to a group of Lemurs causing their death. I choose not to risk feeding them also.
Ivermectin causing deaths in the past was due to inexperienced vets using Ivermectin the strength for large livestock instead of the proper small animal strength. I use Revolution for years myself.
 

Latest posts



Top