Things to do in the Seattle area?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinmama

My husband is going to Seattle in October on a business trip, and I'm hoping to join him at the end of the trip for a mini vacation. We'll be there towards the end of October for three or four days. What are some things we "have to" do or see while we're there?

His boss suggested we go into Canada while we're there. Looks like Vancouver is the closest "big" city...anything of interest there? How easy is it to cross the border?

The Experience Music Project (EMP) is pretty cool and it's right next to the Space Needle.

The mountains and beaches here are wonderful! The Hoh rainforest is amazing and I love the Olympic hot springs.

There's plenty to do and see here, it's just a matter of what your tastes are.

You'll need a passport to get into Canada.

Last edited:
Take a car ferry to Victoria British Columbia, visit Olympic National Park, go see the Washington coast, I expect it looks different than your southern coast, Ocean shores is where we go. The whole space needle place has a lot of exhibits and stuff. Pike place fish market is a must see, eat some fresh seafood and cool shops there. We are going in a month, have fun, take pics for us

http://www.citypass.com/seattle
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/
http://www.nps.gov/olym/

Thanks for the links!

We like pretty much everything, and Chris likes to stay busy on trips. I've heard of the fish market and really want to see that. The ferry ride and the space needle sound good too. Never heard of the EMP, sounds like something Chris would like. And the rainforest and hot springs?! I'm there! lol

Chris has his passport, guess I need to start working on getting mine.

Thanks!

You'll want to plan your trip in days. Don't even try to drive during the 7-10AM and 3-6PM commutes. The freeways stop, literally. South of Seattle isn't as bad as north.

Seattle: You can park at Pike place, buy something inside and get your parking ticket validated (just ask!) that way you don't have to head back out after an hour and pump the meter full again. From Pike place it's a short walk to the Piers - DEFINITELY recommend Ye Olde Curiosity shope and there's a bunch to see and do down there including the aquarium which is a few blocks down and pretty awesome. It's also very safe during the day. The underground city isn't too far either.

For a trip to Vancouver - start getting your passport now, they take 30-90 days. You'll want to leave seattle early and hit the border before it gets busy. Here's the webpage there's a reason it has all those traffic flow cameras. :D As far as easy... I've only been held up when moving chins/cages back and forth but never more than 45 minutes. I always get there when they open at 7AM, they are open until Midnight. It'll be fast if you don't take any fruit or critters.

On the way up to Canada you can do a day in Anacortes, it is a beautiful little town and the inter-island ferry terminal is there. It is extremely expensive to drive on but you can park at the terminal for a day and walk on and island hop and watch for sea critters. It hits Lopez, San Juan and Orcas islands. All of the islands have amazing things to see and do. You can also take a ferry to Sidney, BC (on Vancouver Island) from the same terminal. I have never taken the route so don't know what it involves. Here's the schedule/fees

From Anacortes to Vancouver is about 80 miles.

There are so many things to see and do in both eastern and western WA, they have a ton of state parks and it's a pretty happening place. Only downside is planning around the traffic.

Have fun!

Last edited:
You don't need a passport. An enhanced driver's license works as well. My hubby works for DHS.
Right... but you can only get one for certain northern states (WA/NY) and she's from SC.

Plus, if you get your passport it'll be an excellent excuse to go to other fun places. ;)

Yes, our state hasn't done the enhanced driver's licenses yet. We're too cheap. :D

Thanks for the tips and ideas everyone!

Back