They're getting weird...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daina91880

This week I started giving my girls regular playtime every night. I felt they were finally to the point where they trusted me enough to come out and play. It's been going well. The first night (Monday) only Bellatrix would come out, but by Tuesday, both were out. I didn't take many pics because they just move too darn fast, and the ones I took were blurry.

Anyway, they've been doing weird things this week. Narcissa fell asleep in the wheel at one point, which 've never seen her do. She's usually running her heart out on it, and if she's asleep, she's tucked away someplace hidden. I'm thinking she just tired herself out and plopped wherever.

Then Bella got real weird on me and did this...

7702342844_1b617c0534_z.jpg

In case you can't tell, she's sitting on her food dish. She was there for a good ten minutes, just hanging out. I have never seen her do anything quite like this. Cracked me up.

Also along the lines of weird... my shih tzu likes to lick them through the playpen bars. I would think chinchillas would hate this, but apparently not. They come back for more! Cissy did head for the dust bath right after a doggie kiss though. Other than that, the dog is good. She just watches them play and lays near the playpen. My pomeranian can't even be bothered to do this. He sleeps on the other side of the room. I'm still not quite sure he realizes there's other animals in the house. If he does, he doesn't care.

They're all weird. Every animal in my house! :thumbsup:

Sleeping on wheels and sitting on food dishes, are quite normal for them :D They are silly creatures :D I have a picture of one of mine, running with his grapevine wreath and flipping it on his head.

The dog licking them is bad in my opinion, they can transmit disease that way, and you should discourage this, not to mention your chin could decide it doesnt like it and take a bite at your dogs nose. Having been bitten, I can tell you, your dog will not take kindly to it.

Heh!Heh! I have to keep my dogs out of the chin room now for two reasons. The nasty one is Harley(the cocker/shih-tzu mix) got busted drinking out of the chin water bottle(which I immediately de cootiefied).The funniest reason is my Lexi(shih-tzu) and Prissy(peke) always sit obediently at the cage and watched the chins. The chins showed their appreciation by nibbling off all of the dogs whiskers!LOL So no more dogs in the chin room.

Oh, I did discourage the dog licking, trust me. My night consisted of "Bella, stop trying to jump out of the playpen." and "Kelsi, stop trying to lick the chinchillas!" She'll learn eventually. We're all still getting used the the chins taking over half the living room. I'm sure the fascination will wear off. She was super interested in them when they first came home too, and she got over that.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a chin room. They live in the living room like the rest of us, lol. I would put the in the spare bedroom, and would love for them to have the whole room, but it stays too warm upstairs. We rely on the central air because we live in a townhouse and the association doesn't allow window units. It just doesn't cool down the same upstairs.

Crouton gets super weird when we haven't let him out for a couple days.

This (see pic below) is his setup for now, till we get him the FN we want.
He likes to climb on top of the cinderblocks, then slide upside down pressed in between them and the cage bars. Sometimes, he'll crawl horizontally that way from one cinderblock to the other.

He also likes to jump into that little corner, and hang there until he tires himself out (at that point he'll slowly slide down the bars till he hits the ground).

One day, we found him in the cage under a ledge, laying on his back with his feet up on the bottom of the ledge, staring at us all upside down with a look that said "Look how bored I am, look." Too bad I couldn't get a picture! Little weirdo :D

Attachments

• Photo0080.jpg
    Photo0080.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 34
We rely on the central air because we live in a townhouse and the association doesn't allow window units. It just doesn't cool down the same upstairs.

Don't you just love home owners associations? Stuff like that is exactly why when we bought our home the biggest stipulation to buying for me was that we bought in an area that did not have an association. Can't stand some board of people telling me what I can and can not do to my house. :banghead:

It is annoying, but we bought when the market was super high because we could afford it, and now our value has gone down. *sigh* We're stuck here for a while.

Crouton gets super weird when we haven't let him out for a couple days.

This (see pic below) is his setup for now, till we get him the FN we want.
He likes to climb on top of the cinderblocks, then slide upside down pressed in between them and the cage bars. Sometimes, he'll crawl horizontally that way from one cinderblock to the other.

He also likes to jump into that little corner, and hang there until he tires himself out (at that point he'll slowly slide down the bars till he hits the ground).

One day, we found him in the cage under a ledge, laying on his back with his feet up on the bottom of the ledge, staring at us all upside down with a look that said "Look how bored I am, look." Too bad I couldn't get a picture! Little weirdo :D

They're such silly creatures!

Daina, have you considered getting one of the floor A/C's that all you do is put the hose in the window than the whole unit. It might not be noticeable in the view sense and also it technically isn't a window unit.

The floor unit is exactly what I'm considering to augment my central air during this horrendous heat.

^^ that's exactly what i do. i use a portable air conditioner in my chin room because my condo does not allow window units. works pretty good!

Daina, have you considered getting one of the floor A/C's that all you do is put the hose in the window than the whole unit. It might not be noticeable in the view sense and also it technically isn't a window unit.

I have considered that, but I worry that it just wouldn't be enough up there, especially during the day. The back bedroom gets all the afternoon sun. Plus, now I've just gotten used to having them down here with me all the time. They'd be alone most of the time, which would suck for them since I'm up all night like they are. I'll just continue to watch them in the playpen. My dog has lost interest anyway. It didn't take long, lol.

Haha I love the weirdness :)

Yesterday I had my little girl in her playpen for some exercise. I had a shelf in there that she kept perching on. I had to take it out though because I noticed one of the screws seemed loose. Well, apparently Charm did not notice its absence so she kept doing these massive jumps in its original direction, only to land on the ground super confused hahaha.

My Chihuahua has been bitten by my boy chi chi. He is the protector of all the chins. One day chi chi decided to take a leap out of his cage and the dog was in the same room. Chi chi chased
and attacked her. It was scary. Ever chase a chinchilla that is chasing a dog. NOT FUN! Thank god the dog had no open wounds or that our chihuahua didn't fight back. The chihuahua will see I have chi chi now and she runs. Ha ha chi chi rules.
My chins are goofs too. They love playing tricks. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Back