The whole lot likes to say hi!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_els__

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm going to be honest with you, my chins are a hobby that got way out of hand.
Without further a do, here is the whole family:
Hedwig, Errol, Ash, Olaf, Sven, Clark, Oliver, Felicity, Marlee, America, Ashley, Carly and Sam.
As you may notice, I have some movie/book themes going here.
I have big cages that my dad built for me.
They're not here anymore, but it all started with Maia and Demi, I found them at the local pet store, they had been there for 2(!) years. After the owner promised me he'd never get chinchilla's anymore, I took them home. I instantly fell in love with chins. The results show that pretty clearly.
I got quite a few of my chins from shelters. The once I got from (good and loving) breeders were usually because I had a chin that had difficulties bonding with adult chins.
At the beginning of this post I shared the chins I have at the moment, but it just doesn't feel right not to share the cuties who have crossed the rainbow bridge: Maia, Demi, Cam, Nash, Dobby, Diggle, Mary Kate, Barry, Cisco and Mikey. I miss every single one of them and they'll always belong to our gigantic chinchilla family❤️
Obviously I couldn't attach a photo of every chin, but here are most of them!Oliver.jpgClark.jpgCarly.jpgSven.jpgHedwig.jpgOlaf.jpgErrol.jpg

Welcome, having a whole bunch of them is fun, they each have their own personalities. I only have one now but I had several at one time growing up.

Welcome to the forum. That's an adorable crowd you got there.:) How are your cages configured for all of them?

Welcome to the forum. That's an adorable crowd you got there.:) How are your cages configured for all of them?
Thanks! I absolutely adore them, I'm actually replying to you with Marlee cuddling on my chest. I have 2 gigantic cages that my dad built for me. Both are as high as the ceiling, one of them is divided into 3 cages and the other into 2. They both have lights in them that I can turn on and off. I also have one cage downstairs. All the chins are separated into 5 different groups.

Of course! Here you go, this is a picture of the cages in my bedroom. It's too dark to take a photo of the one downstairs at the moment. Someday when I downsize on the amount of chins I have, I want to connect every part.
That looks cozy. Connect every part - do you mean remove compartments?

Yes they love it! Removing the compartments isn't really possible, but by creating holes in certain parts they can all be connected someday.
That's gonna be fun! Have you tried putting most of them in one space?

I see. Have you tried three or four girls in one area?

I have, one of my groups is a group of four girls, they're superclose. I also once had a group of 5 boys, that didn't work, they fought too much.

Also, playtime is usually on my bed because the room isn't really rodent proof.
I am always looking for ways of expanding the playtime repertoire and I found this interesting: do you assemble a playpen on the bed or create an enclosure in a four poster bed?

I am always looking for ways of expanding the playtime repertoire and I found this interesting: do you assemble a playpen on the bed or create an enclosure in a four poster bed?
I haven't enclosed anything actually. They just stay on my bed, I didn't teach them or anything, they just do😅

I haven't enclosed anything actually. They just stay on my bed, I didn't teach them or anything, they just do😅
Hey, they're so adorable. Have they tried sleeping with you till morning?

Hey, they're so adorable. Have they tried sleeping with you till morning?
Thanks! No, for multiple reasons. I have to keep an eye on them, cause my room isn't chin proof, I'm also afraid I'll turn over in my sleep and squash them. Lastly, my dogs sleep in bed with me, so not a good combo lol.

Thanks! No, for multiple reasons. I have to keep an eye on them, cause my room isn't chin proof, I'm also afraid I'll turn over in my sleep and squash them. Lastly, my dogs sleep in bed with me, so not a good combo lol.
I know about the predator and prey thing. Are your chins really scared of your dogs? Do they get along on some occasions?

Back