The time you knew your chinnie liked you <3

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

Tell me the story of when you first felt your chinnie was beginning to bond with you! :D

My story:
I adopted my chin, Mr. B, the beginning of December. He's a pretty well behaved and chill, but hates being picked up like any other chin. He'll kack and sometimes bite but it's just a nip.
Last week I kinda spooked him when I came back home, he started dashing around and banging himself up in his cage. I was worried because that wasn't normal behavior! So I took him out into our play space and he hid behind me and made a few barking sounds (first time hearing him do that!). I petted him and spoke to him softly and after a few minutes he calmed down enough to play.

The next day I took him to the vet for a check up. After the nurse tech weighed him/took his temp, she gave him back and he ran across the table and snuggled into my arms... The nurse said she hadn't seen a chin so bonded to someone before, so I was shocked! AAAHHH MR. B LIKES MEEEEEEEEE AND I MAKE HIM FEEL SAFE :love::love::love::love::love::love: It was such a nice feeling! He hung out by me until the vet came in.

Wow, that’s so sweet! 🥰 It’s definitely very rare for a chin to do something like that. Congrats on bonding with your baby!

My story:
My fiancé and I recently adopted a female and we named her Mayu (we love Japanese names). Although she was very sweet and receptive to us petting and rubbing her, she hated being picked up and would even tremble when we tried to hold her. We only ever picked her up to move her into the playpen for her playtime or for cage cleaning.
After several months of working with her and giving her the space to approach us more, I had the cage doors on the top level open to do some daily spot cleaning. It was in that moment that she JUMPED into my arms! She let me hold her close and she didn’t tremble at all. It was the moment I knew she finally became comfortable with me. ❤️

Wow, that’s so sweet! 🥰 It’s definitely very rare for a chin to do something like that. Congrats on bonding with your baby!

My story:
My fiancé and I recently adopted a female and we named her Mayu (we love Japanese names). Although she was very sweet and receptive to us petting and rubbing her, she hated being picked up and would even tremble when we tried to hold her. We only ever picked her up to move her into the playpen for her playtime or for cage cleaning.
After several months of working with her and giving her the space to approach us more, I had the cage doors on the top level open to do some daily spot cleaning. It was in that moment that she JUMPED into my arms! She let me hold her close and she didn’t tremble at all. It was the moment I knew she finally became comfortable with me. ❤
It's such a nice feeling when your chin chooses YOU~ ☺

The first time was probably when I was holding my chin, and then she decided to jump onto my shoulder. Usually she would try to squirm AWAY from me. But that time she actually decided she wanted a better position and jumped onto my shoulder :)

Almost like she was saying "You dont hold me, I own you! Now walk hoo-man"

The first time was probably when I was holding my chin, and then she decided to jump onto my shoulder. Usually she would try to squirm AWAY from me. But that time she actually decided she wanted a better position and jumped onto my shoulder :)

Almost like she was saying "You dont hold me, I own you! Now walk hoo-man"
Aaw yes I love it when my chin jumps on my shoulders too! He also like's to cram himself underneath my legs sometimes.

On the car ride home when I let her out of her crate and she just jumped up me and snuggled into my neck for the 30min car ride home and let me pet her behind her ear ❤️

I rescued my chin from a girl who saw that he was living in some guys garage, in a hamster cage, limited hay, no exercise, no human interaction, and only the plastic cage to chew on. She immediately talked to the owners and ended up going home with a chinchilla. (her name was Duma at the time). Maddie had two small dogs and was heading off to college soon and didn't have the time or money to care for her. She name her "Chinchie" for the meantime and put a post out on Instagram look for a new home for her. I had been looking for a chinchilla for many months and excepted that I would save up and when I was older get one. I then get a call from my freind. He said his freinds girlfreind (Maddie) is giving away a free chinchilla. I immediatly contacted Maddie and my freind talked me up to her. I told That I have been looking for a chinchilla for months and I fell in love with chinchillas when i saw Chinta the chinchilla on go diego go when i was 6. She was glad to here I had the same passion for chinchillas as she did. That night we arranged to meet the chinchilla. She said we were the last family she needed to meet to adopt the chinchilla. Maddie let her out to run around her room and I instantly fell in love. Next thing I know we are bringing her home. We didn't have a cage for her or really anything. I spent the night trying to find a good name fore her. I debated between Felicity, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Roo. By the end of the day her name was Roo Chinchie Duma Freeson! We immediately ordered a critter nation, fleece liners, a wheel, and a bunch of toys and hides. I remember when she went into her critter nation for the first time. She had an actually system overload. She didn't know what to do first!. Run, Jump, chew, etc. Bonding with her was a little difficult at first. She was pretty social despite her past but hated being pet was kinda scared of me (and the dog obliviously) and hated being picked up. Letting her out to play was difficult to cuz I had no clue how to chin proof my room or what to expect. Even hard was getting out of her cage. I just focused on getting her comfortable and just talked to her and tried not to push her. I even played guitar to her (which she loves). This was all in January of last year. About March something changed. I walked in my room and Roo immediately woke up and rushed to the front of the cage . I look at her and decided to open the cage and pet her. And then something unbelievable happened! She jumped onto my shoulder and just sat there. I continued to pet her and talk to her then she jumped back into her cage. This was pretty strange behavior but I didn't think much of it. Then the next day she did it again! So when she jumped on my shoulder I I slowly sat on my floor and let her out to run around. I realized she figured out how I can transport her from cage to floor without having to pick her up. In the past when I let her out she would hide from me and just run to her cage. Now she runs to me and jumps on me during playtime. I even taught her some tricks. She know spin, pikachu (walk on two legs), highfive, and come. It was that March day that I realized she finally liked me.

I rescued my chin from a girl who saw that he was living in some guys garage, in a hamster cage, limited hay, no exercise, no human interaction, and only the plastic cage to chew on. She immediately talked to the owners and ended up going home with a chinchilla. (her name was Duma at the time). Maddie had two small dogs and was heading off to college soon and didn't have the time or money to care for her. She name her "Chinchie" for the meantime and put a post out on Instagram look for a new home for her. I had been looking for a chinchilla for many months and excepted that I would save up and when I was older get one. I then get a call from my freind. He said his freinds girlfreind (Maddie) is giving away a free chinchilla. I immediatly contacted Maddie and my freind talked me up to her. I told That I have been looking for a chinchilla for months and I fell in love with chinchillas when i saw Chinta the chinchilla on go diego go when i was 6. She was glad to here I had the same passion for chinchillas as she did. That night we arranged to meet the chinchilla. She said we were the last family she needed to meet to adopt the chinchilla. Maddie let her out to run around her room and I instantly fell in love. Next thing I know we are bringing her home. We didn't have a cage for her or really anything. I spent the night trying to find a good name fore her. I debated between Felicity, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Roo. By the end of the day her name was Roo Chinchie Duma Freeson! We immediately ordered a critter nation, fleece liners, a wheel, and a bunch of toys and hides. I remember when she went into her critter nation for the first time. She had an actually system overload. She didn't know what to do first!. Run, Jump, chew, etc. Bonding with her was a little difficult at first. She was pretty social despite her past but hated being pet was kinda scared of me (and the dog obliviously) and hated being picked up. Letting her out to play was difficult to cuz I had no clue how to chin proof my room or what to expect. Even hard was getting out of her cage. I just focused on getting her comfortable and just talked to her and tried not to push her. I even played guitar to her (which she loves). This was all in January of last year. About March something changed. I walked in my room and Roo immediately woke up and rushed to the front of the cage . I look at her and decided to open the cage and pet her. And then something unbelievable happened! She jumped onto my shoulder and just sat there. I continued to pet her and talk to her then she jumped back into her cage. This was pretty strange behavior but I didn't think much of it. Then the next day she did it again! So when she jumped on my shoulder I I slowly sat on my floor and let her out to run around. I realized she figured out how I can transport her from cage to floor without having to pick her up. In the past when I let her out she would hide from me and just run to her cage. Now she runs to me and jumps on me during playtime. I even taught her some tricks. She know spin, pikachu (walk on two legs), highfive, and come. It was that March day that I realized she finally liked me.
Aw I'm so glad a chin with such an unhappy start at life found a great new owner and opened up her little heart to you! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. ^_^

Back