The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awsome you two there great and duhh are your cages combined? and lovebug did you make the yourself

I have (2) FN 182 cages side by side. I took out the top sides that butt up together and zip tied them together. The bottoms are still separated but when they are up top its wide open. They love having more room to run around.

Would love to go 3 wide if I could find the space.

These cages are great!
I was wondering where is the best place online to buy one from?
Do they go on sale regularly?
I would love to get one for my chins!

Ferret.com is the best. They do have sales. You can also keep an eye on CL they have them on there if you find one you can get it for 100$ or under.

Thanks for your help! Looks like ferret.com is backordered right now. I am going to keep my eye on craigslist too maybe I will get lucky and find one local :)

I was also curious if anybody has had any luck using something other than the Bass pans...do some type of scatter guard work or are Basspans the best way to go?

i just use the plastic pans that come with the cage.. and then attach the fleece liner to it. haven't had a problem with it.

These cages are great!
I was wondering where is the best place online to buy one from?
Do they go on sale regularly?
I would love to get one for my chins!

I bought both of mine from Ferret.com. They have the best prices and the cheapest shipping. Also recommend using fleece covers for the trays. Easy cleanup with a shop vac and washable.

Thanks for your help! Looks like ferret.com is backordered right now. I am going to keep my eye on craigslist too maybe I will get lucky and find one local :)

I was also curious if anybody has had any luck using something other than the Bass pans...do some type of scatter guard work or are Basspans the best way to go?

It depends on your chins, I have two cages, one cage they're angels and keep the liner in place and keep their poop in the cage, they also don't chew the pans so they have the plastic pans the cage came with. My other cage however consist of two massive chewers who like to ball up their liners, throw poop and toys out of the cage and one likes to push his butt right up again the bars by the wall to pee, they have the bass pans and I've noticed less mess out of the cage. The sides of the pans are about 2-3 inches high to keep stuff in. The only issue I found is my liners are too small for the bass pans so I have to ask whoever I'm buying them from at that time to make them about an inch bigger in length and width.

Im so excited I just got my new ferret nation cage today :) I bit the bullet for the great good of chinkind :p can't want to get all this fun stuff and decorate it :D post pictures when its all done!

They're actually not finished yet, I have a wood house and corner shelf for each cage coming from nwichinchillas.com coming. I also have a fleece bungalow, a corner hammock, and a couch coming from qualitymutationchinchillas.com for each cage. And she's making me liners in zebra with lime or blue for each cage. But here's how we started our new year, I setup their cages with their new fleece and new stuff. Please forgive the staining on the mosaic that's Scamp he's my malo chin and he's a messy critical care eater.

chinchillas 047.jpg

chinchillas 049.jpg

chinchillas 052.jpg

chinchillas 054.jpg

chinchillas 046.jpg

not only do I LOVE the cage, but I really love the matching cover on three side. one of these days I really want to do that

not only do I LOVE the cage, but I really love the matching cover on three side. one of these days I really want to do that

No sewing needed, I took fleece straight from the store and just wrapped it around the sides and back and attached with metal clips. I think it was 3 yards for each cage, I bought the fabric a long time ago to make liners but never had to willpower to do it. My boys like to spray the walls and my parents would kill me if they did. It keeps the mess to a minimum without restricting air flow, it's only one layer of fleece so it's lightweight and breathes and the top and front are left open.

Just an excited note ! Two of my cages got new shelves that I made tonight. I was able to find kiln dried pine at home depot :D Yipppeee

i FINALLY went to joannes today. I've been wanting to go for like a year, but I don't have a car and the closest one is 45 min away. So excited....of course I don't know how to sew so this will be fun but I'm excited to have the fleece at least!

Back