The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, everyone! I just upgraded to double Critter Nation cages with Bass pans for my boy (Andy) and my girl (Sancho Ria), so I thought I'd post some pics!

I made my own shelves. Credit to Fleece for Furries for the liners and other fleece goodies! (Thanks, Shelly!)

Attachments

• Sancho01.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 246
  • Sancho03.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 242
  • Sancho05.jpg
  • Andy03b.jpg
  • Andy05b.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 243
I already posted many pics of Shadow's cage, but here's a new addition *well i got this months ago but never posted it. It's a Noah's ark themed big toy box made by the wonderful Twilight Chinchillas/Christine. Shadow loves it. Every time I put new sticks in, the morning after he has them on the floor. Instead of Noah's box I asked for Noel's box cause Shadow's middle name is Noel. Of course he is in the ark too.
2s6syti.jpg

abyqedeq.jpg

Is this ferret nation cage big enough for my boy? I would like the two level, so I'm wondering if I'm able to turn this into the double level by purchasing another single? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Double Critter Nation Cages

Trying this again... my images didn't show up :facepalm:

I just upgraded to double Critter Nation cages with Bass pans for my boy (Andy) and my girl (Sancho Ria), so I thought I'd post some pics!

I made my own shelves. Credit to Fleece for Furries for the liners and other fleece goodies! (Thanks, Shelly!)

Attachments

• Sancho01b.jpg
    Sancho01b.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sancho03b.jpg
    Sancho03b.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Sancho05b.jpg
    Sancho05b.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 43
  • Andy03bb.jpg
    Andy03bb.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Andy05bb.jpg
    Andy05bb.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 35
So, I am going to be getting my first Chinchilla, soon, and I am going to be getting either a critter nation or a ferret nation cage, critter nation would be model 161, and ferret nation would be 181, my chinchilla would most likely be a baby. about 3 months. I can't afford a double unit or I would otherwise go for that, my questions are

1)With the Critter Nation 161, can I find a 163 Add on unit for it pretty easily?
2)Can I use tradition bedding?(Kiln Dried Pine)In stead of fleece. I will eventually use fleece, but I want to litter train my chinchilla, so I want to use bedding at first.
3)I will be ordering from Amazon, because I have an amazon gift card for selling college books, will I be okay with their shipping?

So, I am going to be getting my first Chinchilla, soon, and I am going to be getting either a critter nation or a ferret nation cage, critter nation would be model 161, and ferret nation would be 181, my chinchilla would most likely be a baby. about 3 months. I can't afford a double unit or I would otherwise go for that, my questions are

1)With the Critter Nation 161, can I find a 163 Add on unit for it pretty easily?
2)Can I use tradition bedding?(Kiln Dried Pine)In stead of fleece. I will eventually use fleece, but I want to litter train my chinchilla, so I want to use bedding at first.
3)I will be ordering from Amazon, because I have an amazon gift card for selling college books, will I be okay with their shipping?

I would assume you should be able to find the add on unit fairly easy online. I know I've seen the ferret nation add on units all over.

You don't ever have to use fleece if you don't want to, if you do, you can start right away with fleece and begin potty training them immediately by using a glass baking dish and filling with bedding such as kiln dried pine. Chins typically pee in the corners so either try blocking some of the corners or put in one or more baking dishes with bedding in the corners. Just a note, which I am assuming you are aware, you cannot potty train a chin to poo in certain areas as they do not have control over that bodily function.

I don't understand your third question.. You can see how much shipping costs are going to be before you finalize the order from amazon. If adding shipping is going to cost about the same or more, you would be better off shopping online elsewhere or that has free shipping.

I ended up getting the Ferret Nation 182 because I found a great deal with fast shipping. I got it off wayfair.com for $179 and I had a 10% off my entire purchase promo code which made it $161. Talk about a steal. So I won't be needing that extra unit.

I decided to use fleece right away and I starting sewing liners by hand. I don't have a sewing machine. I think I have done okay on them. And I will be buying kiln dried pine and the rest of her stuff Friday before I pick her up.

As of regards to my shipping question I didn't mean cost. I meant as far as being handled. I hear a lot of people receive their ferret nations with bent bars and wires and it causes a difficult assembly. I received it today and just set it up. Thanks for all of your advice will post picture when set up is complete.

So has anyone on here ever tried to put two ferret nations next to each other and connect them (like take off the sides so they have a double wide cage)? I know chins prefer height over width, but I can't fit the third tier expansion cage on top of the one I have because my ceilings are too low in the basement where the chins are.
Thanks!
Elizabeth

2mgvbew.jpg

veps3d.jpg

21ka6hh.jpg

wj7820.jpg

2ytybgw.jpg

So excited to show off the new setup! After one very long month of fighting and living in separate cages, Dex and Nietzsche finally get along after 3 days of the small-cage-within-a-larger-cage introduction method. So to celebrate, I rearranged their cage and sewed them a new set of liners as well as a new tube cover and a hammock with the leftover fabric. Hope you guys like it!

Side note: Joanne's Fabrics has a huge fleece sale going on until the 27th of this month (September) and all printed anti-pill fleece is 60% off and all solid anti-pill fleece is 50% off. This has been a PSA.

Side note: Joanne's Fabrics has a huge fleece sale going on until the 27th of this month (September) and all printed anti-pill fleece is 60% off and all solid anti-pill fleece is 50% off. This has been a PSA.

Just an FYI- fleece remnants there get the sale price per yard, and then are half of that because of being remnants. This wont help anyone in Toledo- I wiped out the two Joanne's remnant bins there :)

pirate ship!

i found a pirate ship like this on google awhile ago and really like but i never could find it again! Where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking?

I have three of the Critter Nation cages. I really do love them over anything else I have found to buy but as with anything there are some issues I have noticed. One gripe I have with them is the legs. On one of my cages the legs have started to bend outward. I also noticed that this cage is starting to get what looks like small rust spots on the outside. I have no idea why, it is never left wet or anything. I wonder if I can coat this cage with something to stop the rust that would be chin safe or if I should just start with a fresh one?

Ouu, I am loving this thread! :cute:

Mine is kind of empty looking, compared to these photos. I am waiting for my ledges I ordered from chinchilla.ca & then I'll be removing those ramps!
I still have to order his Chin Spin too.

This is what we started with! He seems to have fun in there. :p
xaqt7n.jpg

I was told not to use that hay holder that it was dangerous
Could get his leg caught in it

God Is Good And His Love Last Forever

I am loving this thread!! It's given me so many ideas on how to decorate the cage we're getting for our girls.
The fleece liners definitely seem like a convenient (and cute!) way to go.

Sorry if this picture is not straight, but it was enough trouble to get it in here! ;) We are new to chins and this is our new CN. We are waiting on some custom fleece items to arrive, and a wheel once they are older. Looking for some good toy sources though . . .

2qs5ds6.jpg

Back