The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a Ferret Nation!! I've been wanting one for ages, ever since I first adopted Abbey. Her current cage is a really old model Martin cage, which I like okay but the cage doors are tiny and it's a bit rusted on the bottom. The price tag of the FN was what kept me so long from getting it, but get this....I bought my FN 182 BRAND NEW for $56!!!!!! I got it at petsmart! This petsmart doesn't normally carry FNs and someone had returned this one to the store after ordering it online, then canceling the order. The FN still shipped to their house so they just took it to the store to return it. The box hasn't even been opened! I guess since the petsmart doesn't normally carry FNs, they sold it at cost!! I am so happy!! I couldn't leave it behind!

Unfortunately, however, the box is still sitting in my car, haha! I live in an apartment and couldn't carry the box up two flights of stairs by myself so I have to wait for my boyfriend to come home in two days to get it up here and put it together! In the mean time, I'm planning on how to decorate it!

I have a couple questions though. With Abbey's current cage, I use two layers of fleece with newspaper underneath. I clip it all down with binder clips. How can I use fleece in the FN? Can you still clip it or do you have to use the fleece with the quilt lining? I've also been wondering about the Bass pans. Is that a good investment? Do they keep the poo from falling onto the floor?

I'm so excited!!!!
I reallyyyy recommend getting Abbey litter pans. You can order them here: http://chinchillathings.com/for-the-critters.html they go in the corner, don't move, are inexpensive, are easy to clean, and you just order Aspen bedding NO cedar (toxic) and put layers of aspen bedding in it and put a pan on each level and your chinchilla will pee there. my chinchilla has gotten these pans since age 6 and he learned to use the liter box right away. try to put tiles on the fleece on parts that are open because he may pee there at first so if you put stuff on the fleece like cuddle buddies, tiles, she will learn to pee only in the liter box. Otherwise peeing on fleece, no offense, as a student, i really don't have time to wash fleece every week, plus i would have to catch him and put all his tiles and house and etc. out so i just get the fleece. this is why i have corner liter pans (has to be metal cause plastic they chew) and he pees there and i change it every week. And getting bass pans for each level is a must. they do help stop getting poop from falling out plus chinchillas chew plastic. and the plastic pans get yellow easily (sooo hard to clean). u can also order poo guards for ledges so it doesn't fall out when he leaps on different ledges.

I know I already posted my chins cage a long time ago, but I was wondering what I can do to improve it. It's still the same set up as this photo:
tumblr_mfk37pgeJt1qlxbl6o2_500.jpg
anyways I would like some ideas to replace the plastic pan on the 2nd floor, as i put a fleece pillow cover on top of it, but the plastic pan itself has yellow spots no matter how hard i clean, it never gets removed. he LOVES the plastic pan area, and he eats hay and food there, i just need to get rid of the plastic pan i can't use it forever, and need a solution like the same size of it where it can be his feeding area.

I need this batman fleece ASAP. Where did you order it? My chinchilla LOVES batman. He has a customized batman cave.

I got the Batman from Shooper aka Shelly aka Fleece for Furries on Facebook. I'm not sure if she still has some left, so you might have to ask.

I know AnnieO of ChinChic will order whatever fleece you want to make liners and stuff for you if you want. She's on Facebook too, so just shoot her a message :)

I know I already posted my chins cage a long time ago, but I was wondering what I can do to improve it. It's still the same set up as this photo:
tumblr_mfk37pgeJt1qlxbl6o2_500.jpg
anyways I would like some ideas to replace the plastic pan on the 2nd floor, as i put a fleece pillow cover on top of it, but the plastic pan itself has yellow spots no matter how hard i clean, it never gets removed. he LOVES the plastic pan area, and he eats hay and food there, i just need to get rid of the plastic pan i can't use it forever, and need a solution like the same size of it where it can be his feeding area.

I believe they make a bass pan for that level with the cut out. I removed that center section so I don't have any other ideas.

I am so excited I ordered a ferret nation cage for my girl and I ordered her fleece coverings from Annie at chinchics and of course because of the snow the cage is delayed getting here :( I love to look at all the designs of your cages gives me some ideas of what to do when I receive my cage.

Long time FN142/143 owner...first time poster ;) I was wondering (and I know if I searched hard enough it's probably mentioned somewhere) where you all purchase the high back, corner metal litter pans and how well do they work (I mean, do they get used). Also wondering about the wooden hay holders...who carries those? TY much!

Attachments

• 100_6247.jpg
    100_6247.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 81
Long time FN142/143 owner...first time poster ;) I was wondering (and I know if I searched hard enough it's probably mentioned somewhere) where you all purchase the high back, corner metal litter pans and how well do they work (I mean, do they get used). Also wondering about the wooden hay holders...who carries those? TY much!

I think this is what you're looking for.
http://chinchillathings.com/for-the-critters.html

OMG! I love you! One stop shopping AND the site owner is brilliant, porcelain ledge?!? Brilliant!

On that note, what is the overall success of use for those corner litter pans? Do the chins use them to potty? Do they ignore them? Do they dig the "litter" out?

where to find CN online?

I'm looking to get another cage (critter nation) and am looking for input as to WHERE people bought them online, and what price you got it at! when i got my FN, I had Petsmart price match kennelvet.com's sale price a few years ago, but now it doesn't seem like kennelvet.com sells it anymore.

I'm watching the following websites:

ferrets.com
1800petsupplies.com
amazon
petco & petsmart
happyfordogs.com

Chris, those are all great retailers to watch. I got my FN on sale on ferrets.com. The only advice I can give is to keep watching for good sales, especially ones that include no or low shipping. If you aren't opposed to buying used, you can also find good deals in the local paper or craigslist.

I ended up printing out Ferret.com's page (the price then was $203) and took it to Petsmart to see if they still do price matching. a few years ago when I got my FN they did price matching. now they only sell the Critter Nation, which is fine because it's what i wanted. and i was surprised to hear the manager agree quickly that he'd match it! he said they are only supposed to price match "brick and mortar" stores and not online stores, but he either didnt care, or wanted to piss off his boss LOL who cares, i got a CN for just over $200 (normal petsmart price 260!)

but ugh, now i see it on sale even further on ferret.com! i couldve gotten it cheaper! oh well, i got it and my babies are happy!

oh! and can i just say that the "tools necessary" Ferret Nation 142 (the old version) was A LOT easier to put together (even by myself) than the "NO tools necessary" (which is a lie) Critter Nation 162 (and i had help!). UGH! that was a dumb idea to change the design, Midwest! If it aint broke, dont fix it!

pics of the new cage and set up will come soon!! as soon as i finish setting up! I can post a pic of the FN and the CN side by side for those wondering the differences :)

The same thing happened to me. I bought my Ferret Nation on sale, then the next week there was an even better sale. I was a bit miffed about that! But like you said, I was happy to have a cage that will last and that my chin (now chins) loved. $203 is still a good price for the CN. And yes, the "no tools required" set up definitely requires two people, and even then it is a pain. Worth it, though.

Okay...add me to the FN cage club. I ordered a sub-par "less expensive" cage online for about 98 less than the FN cage and it arrived today..we tried to put it together and it was not square in that NONE of the corners or tabs lined up and it did not even fit onto the pan it came with!!! There were a ton of exposed SHARP METAL pieces exposed to injure little precious one... Packed it up and ordered the FN on sale immediately~~~

When you wash your fleeces with these cages, are they pretty much gross enough that they should be their own load? I'm about to switch. I'm thinking of doing liter pans, cause my boy has a favorite pee corner.

When you wash your fleeces with these cages, are they pretty much gross enough that they should be their own load? I'm about to switch. I'm thinking of doing liter pans, cause my boy has a favorite pee corner.

do corner liter boxes the metal ones NOT plastic. u can get them at chinchillathings.com they're great. just but regular aspen bedding in the liter pan only

I use glass Pyrex pans for litter boxes. Maci still occasionally pees on the liner or hammock.

I have multiple liners and hammocks. I switch every few days. Then I do a load of her laundry every few weeks or so. You don't want to use fabric softener because it stops the absorbtion. I wash her stuff in a "free" detergent and add some vinegar in as well.

I'm considering buying a two-level Critter Nation or Ferret Nation cage. I only have one chin and don't plan on getting anymore, but I wanted to give him more room in his cage than he has now with the hope that he will be more willing to go back in his cage when playtime is over.

My question is about the ramp that joins the bottom section with the top section. I know that I should remove all the plastic shelves and replace them with wooden shelves/ledges, but for those of you that keep the bottom pan in the upper section but make it so your chins have access to both sections, what do you do about the plastic ramp (what do you replace it with?) Does someone sell wooden ramps specific for these cages?

Also, for the fleece liners for the pans on the bottom, do these do a good job of absorbing all the urine? I know they will need to be washed at least once a week, but does the urine soak through and get onto the pan as well?

Thank you.

I'm considering buying a two-level Critter Nation or Ferret Nation cage. I only have one chin and don't plan on getting anymore, but I wanted to give him more room in his cage than he has now with the hope that he will be more willing to go back in his cage when playtime is over.

My question is about the ramp that joins the bottom section with the top section. I know that I should remove all the plastic shelves and replace them with wooden shelves/ledges, but for those of you that keep the bottom pan in the upper section but make it so your chins have access to both sections, what do you do about the plastic ramp (what do you replace it with?) Does someone sell wooden ramps specific for these cages?

I just bought this cage and put it together two days ago. I love it so much . My previous cage was a Quality Cage Mansion. I debated for a long time about whether to keep the middle and finally decided to keep it for more floor space and safety from falling. Anyway, I ditched the ramps all together. They came with these fleece covers for the ramps but it seemed silly. I installed a corner wood ledge and staggered the wooden shelves I made so the chinchilla could access the top level with ease.

Back