The exercise ball mishap and the degu

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd93

I bought mine a ball to run around in but he doesn't "get it" so I let it go. But now in the last ten minutes I put my degu Momo in this huge oversized ball just for the heck of it and he goes like 45 miles per hour. Now he's much smaller than a chinchilla for those who've never seen one. They also enjoy dust baths and eat about the same foods (except fruit, they are natural diabetics)...I have no clue where chinchillas come from but degus come from Chile (I think) I usually don't let animals from different species near each other but degus are very social and should be kept in pairs however I can't find him another degu in PA since they've been banned. Momo loves all other rodents for some reason. He got along with my pet rat (rip) and he loves the chinchilla that needs a name so badly. I usually refer to him as a "buff gerbil" since he sort of resembles one but he is so athletic. He actually resides in a 6' tall ferret cage since degus shouldn't be kept in small cages due to the hyper activeness. They aren't nocturnal either. They sleep in 15 minute sessions throughout the day so he's awake at all hours. He loves being pet on his neck and chin and will hop right up on you if you hold still.
Here's pictures of him. I still need to take a picture of my chinchilla. He's jet black so I don't know what kind he is.

Attachments

• P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 103
  • P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 104
  • P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 100
Degu also overheat just like chinchillas, and the runabout balls are not recommended for them either. You would be better off making a swing out of it for him to hang out in inside his cage, rather than risk him overheating and becoming ill from the deathball.

I bought mine a ball to run around in but he doesn't "get it" so I let it go. But now in the last ten minutes I put my degu Momo in this huge oversized ball just for the heck of it and he goes like 45 miles per hour.
Neither chins nor degu should use a ball. They both are sensitive to heat.

Now he's much smaller than a chinchilla for those who've never seen one. They also enjoy dust baths and eat about the same foods (except fruit, they are natural diabetics)...
Chinchillas shouldn't be eating fruit either. Chinchillas need a good chinchilla or rabbit pellet and plenty of fresh hay. Degus should get 50/50 mix of a good quality chinchilla pellet and timothy based guinea pig pellet.

be I have no clue where chinchillas come from but degus come from Chile (I think)
Both chinchillas and degu come from South America.

I usually don't let animals from different species near each other but degus are very social and should be kept in pairs however I can't find him another degu in PA since they've been banned. Momo loves all other rodents for some reason. He got along with my pet rat (rip) and he loves the chinchilla that needs a name so badly.
While it's fine to have the degu and chinchilla share the same room where they can talk to each other, but they should not be playing together.

I usually refer to him as a "buff gerbil" since he sort of resembles one but he is so athletic. He actually resides in a 6' tall ferret cage since degus shouldn't be kept in small cages due to the hyper activeness. They aren't nocturnal either. They sleep in 15 minute sessions throughout the day so he's awake at all hours.
Actually degus are crepuscular (having peaks of activity at dusk and dawn and other periods of activity and sleep through out the day). The word ‘crepuscular’ comes from the French word ‘crepuscule’, meaning twilight.

Tunes and Meanie have already said everything that I was going to say.

I love your degu, such a cutie! I came close to getting a pair before I found my chin girl, did a lot of research on them. There's a rescue in Maryland that has a pair, if they are still there. Petfinder.com is a really useful tool in searching for degus.

I don't think Degu's are banned in PA either as 2 of my local shelters have a few pairs up for adoption here. You baby sure is cute though!! I love to look at them!!! More pics please :D

Well the pet store I got mine off of told me they got in big trouble for selling them cuz they were recently banned since they can carry monkeypox...I have tried everything to get him a friend with no luck! They are illegal to own, sell, and breed. It's horrible since I can't just get rid of him now...he's a family pet and he's much loved. If anyone found out I have him they can take him right off me and put him down since that's how PA deals with illegal exotics...they don't even give you a chance to find them a legal home. There is no grandfather clause so anyone that has one can get in trouble...there is a fine also.

Last edited:
Well the pet store I got mine off of told me they got in big trouble for selling them cuz they were recently banned since they can carry monkeypox...
Degus were never included in the monkeypox ban. The ban included 6 species of African rodents and prairie dogs. Even if they were, the monkeypox ban was lifted in June of 2008.

I have tried everything to get him a friend with no luck! They are illegal to own, sell, and breed. It's horrible since I can't just get rid of him now...he's a family pet and he's much loved. If anyone found out I have him they can take him right off me and put him down since that's how PA deals with illegal exotics...they don't even give you a chance to find them a legal home. There is no grandfather clause so anyone that has one can get in trouble...there is a fine also.
Since the Humane Society Of Berks County PA has a pair up for adoption on PetFinder, I doubt they are illegal in your state. You really need to start educating yourself and checking facts. Clearly the pet store has no idea what they are talking about. Google is your friend.

I know this is a bit late, but degus ARE banned in Pennsylvania, as well as other areas in the USoA.
They are banned because if they escape, they can breed quickly, overpopulate, and mess up the local ecosystem. This was confirmed in 2010 by the PA government.

Back in 2005, there was an court argument about a woman and some companion animals she had (none were degus), and a law was clarified, and it included degus. However, it was about selling offspring:
http://www.courts.state.pa.us/OpPosting/CWealth/out/1405CD04_6-16-05.pdf
(3) The following persons are exempt from the licensing
requirements under section 2 or 3 of the Act:
(iii) Any person who maintains a total of three (3) or
fewer breeding female dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild
mammals, such as hedgehogs, degus, spiny mice, prairie dogs,
flying squirrels, and jerboas, and who sells only the offspring of
these dogs, cats, or small exotic or wild mammals, which were
born and raised on his or her premises, for pets or exhibition, and
is not otherwise required to obtain a license. This exemption does
not extend to any person residing in a household that collectively
maintains a total of more than three breeding female dogs, cats,