The Chinstrument Project

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchillaville13

As (probably) none of you know, I am learning the guitar. As more of you know, I have a chinchilla named Pedro. And he gave me a genius idea.

I was practicing some chords, when Pedro went insane. He started jumping around, with (as far as I know) no intention or goal. As I'm typing this, he is sitting on a ledge centered on the front of his cage, close to the top. His observation deck, if you will. I'll play a G and type below what happens.

He flinches once. I play it again, he jumps down to his large shelf, down to the top of his hut, and sits for a couple seconds. He then jumps into his bedding. back to the top of the hut, sits for a couple seconds. He then makes his way, quickly, to his observation deck.

Now a C. He jumps down to the hut, sits for about a second, climbs the side of his cage, jumps back down when he hits the bottom of his large shelf, and ten hops on the top of his hut. He then quickly makes his way back to the observation deck.

I was about to try a D, when I noticed he was staring at me with what I think was curiosity. As he stared, he was jumping around to different shelves, ledges, etc. He made his way around the cage slowly. He ended up back at the observation deck.

Now I'll try a D chord. He went straight to the top of the hut, sat for a few seconds, stared at me, stared at my rabbit (who is eating some cabbage), and went straight back to the observation deck.

I noticed I played that D incorrectly. I tried for a correct one, and he just stayed and listened the first time. I strummed it again with my new favorite pick, a shiny, white pick with Travelin' Band written in blue, over Sawyer Brown, also written in blue. I got it from a Sawyer Brown concert in March. This time, Pedro jumped on his small hammock, onto a nearby ledge (same size, different placement, compared to the observation deck), and sat for a very short amount of time. Then he jumped onto his large shelf and climbed up to the observation deck.

I strummed an F Major, and he jumped onto the large shelf, stared for a couple seconds at me, jumped down to the top of his hut, clinged to the side of his cage, did a flip of some sort off the side, landed in some bedding. he stared for a couple seconds, and made his way quickly back to the observation deck.

I strummed an E Major, and it sounded bad the first time. He sat and watched. Then I tried one correctly, and he jumped onto a nearby ledge, onto his small hammock, onto his shelf, then climbed back up to his observation deck, without stopping to stare, listen, or think.

Just tried an A Major as well. Played it incorrectly twice, and correctly once. All times, Pedro sat on the observation deck and listened. Didn't even flinch.

After experimenting a bit, I think I want to see where this can go, see what other chinchillas do, and see what other sounds do for chinchillas. I call it The Chinstrument Project. What do y'all think? I want to study this more. I want to try all sorts of audios and see how chinchillas react. Share your experiences with chinchillas and noise! And try some of the stuff I try, let me know what your chin does!

P.S. I already posted this, and at first I called it Project Pedro. I figured that since I would be experimenting with a chinchilla's reactions to sound (which started with my guitar), I'd call it The Chinstrument Project

He's so adorable. How about other musical instruments?:)
I don't play anything else, but I want to see what Pedro does with other instruments. He doesn't seem to respond to music that's being played on a device, but he reacts to the sound of instruments being played near him

Love it! I told my son he needs to go play his harp for his chinchillas.

Hate to mention it among those of us who love chinchillas, but from what I've read, when chinchillas are used for medical research it is in studies related to their hearing, because it is similar to human hearing. Of course, musical/sound preferences are another story!

Reminds me of something I found funny. Some years ago, my local zoo (Oklahoma City) received several elephants from a zoo in/around Seattle that felt OKC could give them better care partly bc they could be part of a larger herd. (It was soon after OKC got the Sonics NBA team, incidentally. ) Well some WA folks were up in arms about it and activists sounded off. Bob Barker made a statement that, among other atrocities, these poor elephants were being moved to a zoo that has a music venue "and everyone knows elephants don't like rock music!". I thought that was so funny. Everyone knows? They may love it! They may groove to the beat! (And actually, the huge elephant enclosure is nowhere near the Zoo Amphitheater and we have a really large sprawled out zoo.) Just made me think, unless it's been studied and observed, how do we know what sounds particular animals like?

I don't play anything else, but I want to see what Pedro does with other instruments. He doesn't seem to respond to music that's being played on a device, but he reacts to the sound of instruments being played near him
Thanks, how often can Pedro hear you play?

How many chins do you have? It must be interesting to know how they react to the same sound.

Each of my chinchillas have a favorite song. Nigel loves rocketman by Elton John he will start making happy squeaks. The girls like hey there Delilah they come out and sit to listen to it. And lastly Nimbus loves Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters also by Elton John he comes out of hiding and calmly sits to listen.

That's awesome! My chin's cage is in the same room as my piano, so she gets to listen to me practice. She seems to like it, she usually comes over to the side of her cage closest to me and listens/watches me.....though other times she just ignores me and goes back to sleep, haha.

Each of my chinchillas have a favorite song. Nigel loves rocketman by Elton John he will start making happy squeaks. The girls like hey there Delilah they come out and sit to listen to it. And lastly Nimbus loves Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters also by Elton John he comes out of hiding and calmly sits to listen.
Amazing. How frequently do they hear them?

Hate to mention it among those of us who love chinchillas, but from what I've read, when chinchillas are used for medical research it is in studies related to their hearing, because it is similar to human hearing. Of course, musical/sound preferences are another story!

Reminds me of something I found funny. Some years ago, my local zoo (Oklahoma City) received several elephants from a zoo in/around Seattle that felt OKC could give them better care partly bc they could be part of a larger herd. (It was soon after OKC got the Sonics NBA team, incidentally. ) Well some WA folks were up in arms about it and activists sounded off. Bob Barker made a statement that, among other atrocities, these poor elephants were being moved to a zoo that has a music venue "and everyone knows elephants don't like rock music!". I thought that was so funny. Everyone knows? They may love it! They may groove to the beat! (And actually, the huge elephant enclosure is nowhere near the Zoo Amphitheater and we have a really large sprawled out zoo.) Just made me think, unless it's been studied and observed, how do we know what sounds particular animals like?
I didn't know that about elephants. Is that supposed to be a thing, like how cows can't go down stairs? I'd think elephants would like music of all sorts, they just strike me as that type of animal, I guess 😂

Thanks, how often can Pedro hear you play?
Just whenever I'm practicing. It's been a hot minute since I last had time for practice, between working and taking care of the animals. We actually just had a newborn kitten on Easter! His eyes started to open today

Pedro's never shown too much interest in specific songs. He just throws a fit when it's shut off 🤣 I play relaxing music at night, usually country or bluegrass. He doesn't ever seen into it, but if it's off, it's barking for the next half hour 😂

That's awesome! My chin's cage is in the same room as my piano, so she gets to listen to me practice. She seems to like it, she usually comes over to the side of her cage closest to me and listens/watches me.....though other times she just ignores me and goes back to sleep, haha.
That's what my rabbit does 🤣 She sometimes pays attention, but mostly goes to sleep, eats something, or chews one of her toys

Something I forgot to mention, Pedro seems to get sleepy and content if I play music from a YouTube channel called Petunes. He likes their dog and rabbit music 🤣

Just whenever I'm practicing. It's been a hot minute since I last had time for practice, between working and taking care of the animals. We actually just had a newborn kitten on Easter! His eyes started to open today
Congratulations on your newborn kitten.
Something I forgot to mention, Pedro seems to get sleepy and content if I play music from a YouTube channel called Petunes. He likes their dog and rabbit music 🤣
He pretty much understands music. Can you train a chinchilla to dance?😃

Back