The 5 lovely ladies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
Fifteen days ago 2 standard female sisters were surrendered to the rescue. They are 3 yrs old and had never really been touched. They were used for breeding purposes only and the owner never even bothered to give them a name. Even though they were surrendered together they just acted very down and depressed since they got here. They were eating and drinking so I didn't worry too much about it figuring they were still getting used to everything.

I got a call today from their previous owner saying he had 4 more chinchillas to surrender. He said he wanted to try and sell them but hadn't gotten any takers and needed everyone gone. I went to his home today and saw the 4 cutest little chins ever. I asked how old they were and he said the one pair was 2 1/2 months old and the other was 4 months old. I then asked if the ones he gave me before were their mothers. He said yes and it all started to make sense. He had pulled the mothers from both pairs and surrendered them, leaving the babies behind in separate cages.
He decided he wanted to keep one, so after I got done sexing everyone he wanted to keep the only male. I went home with the other three females.

Knowing how sad the other chins had been acting I put the three together in a cage directly next to the moms. It took about .3 seconds for them to notice and the chirps and squeaks started ringing through the house. Once I saw there was no aggression I reunited everyone in the same cage. Everyone was so happy! Kisses and grooming all around, babies popcorning and squeaking, moms chirping. It was a lovely sight.

Here is a video of all 5 of them trying to dust together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYJNA_NFRE

More updates of these 5 ladies will be coming. For now everyone is getting along flawlessly. I have switched them to a larger cage and have put a ton of shelves in so that the babies don't have as far to jump. I am watching everyone like a hawk too. I have never done a reintroduction with this many chins, but I have hope that it all works out that they can stay together until they are adopted out. I am going to try and adopt them out as a pair and a trio, unless of course someone wants all 5 (one can hope, right? :dance3:). The moms are on pregnancy watch even though the owner said they haven't been with a male. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, but hopefully he's right and we don't end up with even more.

Also, I know these ladies would have gotten over the seperation of their babies, but I'm glad that at least at this point they didn't have to. :hug2:

Last edited:
My flash isn't working so can't see the video but your description is precious! Bless your heart for taking them in, and I'm so happy to see them reunited, and happy once again. :)

Glad to see the reunion was a success and you could give the moms something good to ease the transition to SRC, Crysta!

So for names, I decided on Lily, Poppy and Daisy for the kits. Still trying to decide on flower names for the moms.

Someone had mentioned Rose and Violet. So far I think those are my favorites, but am still open for suggestions.

Such a sweet story, Crysta! I can't wait for updates.

My whole family loved the dusting video. Too cute for words. My favorite is the darker baby with the white tip on her tail. What color is she? Its hard to tell through the dust. :))

Aww, loved the video! It's so cute when they roll in the shavings thinking they are getting some dust. They're so silly.
I'm so glad you were able to rescue those girls. Looks like they were enjoying each others company.

Wow, what beautiful chins!! They look like they are having such a great time! I'm glad you were able to reunite them. :D You could name the other one Crimson..

Crimson and Clover.. like the song? :p

Clover and Rose :)

I think you should just keep them so they can stay together! What a sweet story.

Back