temperature

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

I'd like to get some chins but the only place to put them is the hedgehog room. The hedgehogs being from africa like it hot and will hibernate and die at low temperatures so we have a space heater in there keeping it at 76F. Is this too hot for chins? I can lower it a little.

I would be afraid of overheating at that temperature. I try to keep my chins between 65-70ish. They like cold better than hot as they are from the Andes Mountains.

I can find somewhere in the livingroom but we are not keeping the house below 70. I freeze at 74 and start layering on the blankets or take a really hot bath. It is 68 over night and 72 through the morning because I sleep in. Right now though I let it get to 76F in the whole house during the afternoon. I'll have to lower that and buy some new sweat pants. Google says on most breeder sites that up to 75 is ok.

I have had chins overheat at 75, I don't let the temp anywhere above 70 now. I have a few that get warm even at 70. Chins and hedgies require totally different temperature gradients and I wouldn't keep them in the same room at all.

I keep my AC on 69/70. If it cools way down, I might turn it up to 72, but never any higher. I haven't had my chin through the winter months yet, but I probably won't turn it up past 72 then either. I get cold sometimes, but I can always add layers... My chin can't remove layers if he's hot!

Chins should definitely not be kept in a room that is regularly around 75/76. They need to be in a cooler temp controlled room and, not to sound harsh, but if you can't provide them with that then you shouldn't have them.

My chins stay in my room which is one of the most perfect rooms they can be in. It is the coolest and has perfect humidity, the thermostat is in my room so I can turn it down any time, and its away from any heat sources. My room stays around 70 degrees all year round because I prefer cold. And when some idiot decides to jack up the temperature, I get my chinchillers and take action!!! Lol

We'll work something out. For right now I asked what temp they have been kept at and we are moving the rabbit hutch in to the hedgehog room and putting the chin cage (double unit critter nation) where the rabbit hutch is. That's the coolest room in the condo and a room I can lower to 70 if I have to. I have no idea why I didn't think of that sooner. I was running around trying to figure out a place to put the chins in the livingroom when I could just move the rabbits who are in the same size cage and are fine up to 80F. Gotta empty and sell a book shelf first though but I have until sept 1st.

I've been worried about temp too, seeing as I like my house to stay at a steady 65 or 73 at most. But I believe it's a commitment I will be willing to drop the temp for my Chins once I get them, I can add on layers, but chinnies can't remove theirs! You could invest in some Chinchillers. Hedgies and Chins require different temps from what I've read so I wouldn't keep them in the same room at all.

Hope everything goes well for your Chins, and Hedgies.

Back