Telling gender with a difficult chinchilla...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerk

Chinchilla Servant
I was attempting to bond my chinchillas and a thought crossed my mind... What if Lilly isn't a girl? I had previously adopted my oldest girl believing I was receiving a male. When I took "him" in to be shown how to properly check hair rings well... there was nothing to check for hair rings. I adopted Lilly from someone who said she was a she and that's what the breeder had told her.
I've attempted to try to check but she's such a squirmy little girl I can never get a good look.
I'm trying to spare a vet visit because she's is so skittish. Is there anything I would've seen by now if she was a young adolescent male?
Sorry if this all sounds stupid, it's probably just my paranoia kicking in :wacko:.

I'm not sure there is really anything different in behavior or anything between males or females that would be obvious without checking between the legs. The best way to get a good look at a chin's private area that's being squirmy is to hold it upside down by the base of the tail, where the tail meets the butt, and lift all four feet off the ground. They tend to go kind of limp (or at least less squirmy) when you do that and you should be able to get a better look. Hope that helps. There is a pic of someone doing that Here.

That method worked thank you very much! She is not very happy with me right now though :(.

Back