Taming my chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renier

Hello everyone.
I'm sure this subject has popped-up in the past. I have two Chins. Got them when they were 3 months. Even then they would come on my lap for treats, but just hop away when I tried to touch them. It has only gotten worse. They are 18 months now, and I can't get close to them. Never mind holding them. I've only ever been gentle with them. Never forced them. I did have to grab the one for some medicine in the past. He went absolutely ballistic and squirmed like crazy

And yes, I tried the "lure" them with a treat". I just can't believe that I must have my loves in my house for 15 years and never hold them.

Is there absolutely nothing I can do?
Thank you
Renier

How much time do you spend with them? Personally I'd sit next to their cage and talk to them. Do this for about a week and then try to feed them. When feeding them start with treats and give them a treat but dont pet them. Do this for a week and see if they start to get comfortable with you around. If so you can try petting them lightly for a very very short period of time, more like a touch then pet. Then start to hand feed their food. With all the food you'll be giving them straight from your hand they'll start to associate you with good things. Let them out to play as much as possible and just talk and be in their presence

Back