Quantcast

Taking a chinchilla out of it's "house"

ChocolatPocky

I remember reading somewhere (I forget which website), that it's not good to take a chinchilla out of it's little house/hut thingie when it runs in there, because that's their "safe space". You should try to pick it up/get the chinchilla when it's not in its house/hut. Does anyone have an opinion of that?

When I come to get Mr. B out of his cage for playtime he always tries to hide in one of his 2 little huts. He does get pretty defensive when he's in his hut and I'm trying to catch him, so I usually try to block him from his little house if I need to pick him up. I've had him for about 9 months now and I think he just doesn't like being picked up/out of his cage, no matter what. Once he's out of his cage for playtime he has a ton of fun running around tho!

Unicorn777111

It seems that, in general, chins don't like being picked up or held. Swee-Swee (my chin) runs into her hut as well. I don't pull her out of it b/c I want her to have a "safe place" to run to. If I need to medicate or examine her I take the hut out and try to catch her quickly so she doesn't stress out by running scared around her play pen.

ChocolatPocky

Haha yeah my chin hates being picked up. He's actually okay with being held. Before trying to catch him I try to block off the entrances to his huts, or if he's in one already, try to lure him out with food. This way I don't have to pull him out, which he hates and responds to by growling fiercely and nipping my hand. 🤪 Ah he's so cute even when he's mad hehe

borwin98

I use the chin bath house to move my chins to play areas. I put the house into their cage and once the chin gets into it I icarefully block the opening and then move the house with the chin in to the play area. Works well for us.