Tail Wound

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

I let my chinnies out to play today around the office, but one of them, Gus Gus, knocked over a cement tile and I think it fell on his tail unfortunately. There's blood/bleeding on either side of the tail. This is closer to the tip, probably about 3 inches from the tip.
I tried to lessen the bleeding with a napkin, and then dabbed it with a chlorhexidine/water solution to disinfect, and then tried to apply some neosporin type antibiotic to the wound.

Is there any way I can check to make sure it's not broken? He is still able to curl/straighten his tail it appears. Is there anything else I can do to help? I'll keep an eye on him and his wound to make sure it doesn't get infected/worse. This is the first time one of my chinchillas has gotten a real wound. I hope he gets well soon! :(

I'm not sure you can tell without x-rays unless it's visibly not straight. I'm not sure the vet could do much even if it is broken, other then just give pain meds and amputate if it's bothering him. If he is fussing with and chewing on it, it's best to get him checked out by the vet to at least get some painkillers, if it hurts chins are known to just self amputate to remove the pain, which is obviously not good.

I'm not sure you can tell without x-rays unless it's visibly not straight. I'm not sure the vet could do much even if it is broken, other then just give pain meds and amputate if it's bothering him. If he is fussing with and chewing on it, it's best to get him checked out by the vet to at least get some painkillers, if it hurts chins are known to just self amputate to remove the pain, which is obviously not good.
Yikes! Chinchillas are hardcore! :eek: I'll keep an eye on him!

I've been dunking his tail in chlorhexidine/water solution and applying neosporin. Still looks red and a little bloody, it isn't bleeding but hasn't scabbed over as much as I had hoped. Does not appear to be any pus/smell though. He still seems to be in good condition other than that. Should I be worried?

I did some research online - one site said to use saline wash to clean the wound, another said hydrogen peroxide. Anyone have any opinions on which may be better? I just know hydrogen peroxide's gonna sting.

Also called my vet. Everyone's booked out a few weeks unfortunately! My next option would be the ER - I'm not sure if it's that serious, as it doesn't seem to be bothering him. But I also don't want it to become serious.. :/

I wonder if continuing to use the antiseptic solution is slowing the healing and preventing scabbing. I would try just using the neosporin at this point, or if you can get some, use some blu kote https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Naylor-Blu-Kote-Dauber-oz/dp/B000HHJL88. The blu kote creates a sort of antiseptic seal over the wound once dry and helps promote healing. I strongly advise the liquid one over the spray, that stuff stains everything it touches purple so the liquid one, applied wearing gloves with a q-tip, is the best way to go.
The chlorhexidine and water was probably good to begin with but not really needed anymore unless it's getting dirty. I would not use hydrogen peroxide unless there is stuff in the wound, like dirt or something since it bubbles and helps flush everything out, and not more then once. It not only stings but also kills everything, good and bad, which can cause skin damage and scaring. If you need to wash it off at this point I would just use saline solution, or just a plain water like with a damp cloth or paper towel.

I wonder if continuing to use the antiseptic solution is slowing the healing and preventing scabbing. I would try just using the neosporin at this point, or if you can get some, use some blu kote https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Naylor-Blu-Kote-Dauber-oz/dp/B000HHJL88. The blu kote creates a sort of antiseptic seal over the wound once dry and helps promote healing. I strongly advise the liquid one over the spray, that stuff stains everything it touches purple so the liquid one, applied wearing gloves with a q-tip, is the best way to go.
The chlorhexidine and water was probably good to begin with but not really needed anymore unless it's getting dirty. I would not use hydrogen peroxide unless there is stuff in the wound, like dirt or something since it bubbles and helps flush everything out, and not more then once. It not only stings but also kills everything, good and bad, which can cause skin damage and scaring. If you need to wash it off at this point I would just use saline solution, or just a plain water like with a damp cloth or paper towel.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try. Guess he'll have a purple tail for the time being! Can chinchillas see color..?

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try. Guess he'll have a purple tail for the time being! Can chinchillas see color..?

They can see some color, but they have more red/green cones then blue so they likely can't see blues and purples very well if at all. No one knows for sure what a chin sees, but it makes sense, since their food in the wild would be in the red, green, and yellow range, for them to be able to see those colors, whereas blues and purples would not be needed.

Back