Tail hair growth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RainOverVegas

Last year I brought my young violet chin Turtle to the nationals show, where I trimmed her tail into a silly looking crop to match all the other chinnies there. It's been a full year almost and her hair has not regrown whatsoever it's still short and silly! The two chins I won at auction and brought home regrew their hair within a couple months and I've never heard of it just not coming back. Has anyone else had this happen? My poor Turtle she was already silly looking! (hence the name) :clown:

hehe... ive been told that it doesnt grow back, by a old funny guy... but maybe there is some truth to it... maybe come chins just dont grow it back... i have yet to cut anyones tails ... but know that some has been pulled out before and it has always grown back

Maybe it's like women and their eyebrows...my aunt plucked out ALL of her eyebrow hair when she was a young girl and no a single piece ever grew back!!! had to get them tattooed on :hilarious:.

If the other chins hair grew back, maybe your baby is just special like that...since I have never shown i wouldn't be able to tell you for sure, but if some can then I guess all should be able to:thinking:

My lad lost some tail hairs when he managed to get away from me - he fur slipped and i ended up with a few tail hairs in my hand too!
What I can say is it grows much slower than the rest of the fur; he's primed a few times since he lost the tail hairs. They are growing back but after 6/7 months, they are still half the length of the rest of his tail hairs - So maybe it's just growing really slowly??

Chins only regrow tail hair when they are young. Once they are over three, it often doesn't regrow completely, and some never re-grow.

She was only about 9 months old at the show. My poor short tail Turtle.

I have to say that I love her name! I didn't know that their tail fur doesn't grow back.
Is it really short? Or maybe you can retrim it so it looks more normal and not a straight across cut?

That's interesting thanks. My little lad is 2 now, so hopefully it'll grow back properly!

I have found that usually it does grow back. some just much slower than others. All of mine that were trimmed for the WI show grew back, even my old breeder males I practiced on.

I got my girl about a year ago, and the breeder had her tail cut flat. Her tail hair has grown so slowly and sporatically, like only a few of the hairs are longer than the others. Its kinda funny!

Back