Surprise babies please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manders2049

I was given a female chinchilla almost 2 months ago. I woke up yesterday to 3 kits in her cage. She did very well giving birth. The kits were 45g, 43g, and 42g at a day old. I didn't know that she was pregnant so I didn't prepare or give her anything extra for nutrition. The kits keep fighting over her nipples and I don't know what to do or if I can help by supplementing something to make sure they are all eating right. Also what can i give momma to help her with more energy or anything else that she needs? I don't want anything to happen to her during this process. Any tips at all, anything is greatly appreciated. I know that momma can't have dust baths for about 10 days but other than that I am lost. Thank you in advance for the help I appreciate it

This thread might help Caring for your kit(s)

You should also give the female alfalfa hay, it's got calcium and protein she will need. Also it can take a day or so for the milk to come in (make sure it actually does), the kits trying to nurse should trigger the milk to start flowing, which could be why they are fighting they are getting hungry.

Also make sure they are in a kit safe cage, bar spacing needs to be no more then 1/2" or the kits can squeeze through and escape. Also remove any ledges and possibly the hiding house so the female can't get out of reach of the kits. Ideally the cage should be less then 2' high as well as have a nice thick layer of bedding on the floor, kits climb so you don't want them to fall and get hurt or killed.

Back