suprise babies VERY small

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bluepig112

When we rescued our chin we were told she was probably pregnant. She was and delivered in March. One healthy, beautiful boy. I seperated her and dad, but I'm going to guess that I didn't do it fast enough because yesterday I found two newborn babies in her cage. She had not been with dad since the first baby was born. I was actually starting to worry about her because her fur seemed to be thinning and she was listless. I told my husband I thought she was older than we were told, and I thought she was going to die. Turns out she was pregnant (with triplets, but one was dead). So I have two babies. One is what I would consider small. Smaller than the first baby we had, the other is EXTREMELY small. I don't have a scale, but he is half the size of the female. They are both lively, and mom is nursing them so I'm not too sure I should be worried about them. I am worried about mom. I think she has taken a beating. I want to know what I can do to help her get healthy faster. I've also attached two pictures of the babies so you can see what I'm talking about when I say small. What is an average baby size? I'm not a breeder in anyway, and I feel terrible that she was pregnant and I didn't know it.

Attachments

• HPIM1219a.jpg
    HPIM1219a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 85
  • HPIM1223a.jpg
    HPIM1223a.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 71
  • HPIM1217a.jpg
    HPIM1217a.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 72
While it seems to you your babies are small they don't appear to be premature. Premature babies have no fur on their feet and tails. Both of you chinnies have eyes open which is very good. If you have concerns for mom's health right now the best thing you can do is get some lifeline from chocolatechinchillas.com. Dawnna's lifeline works miracles! If the mom is in a weakened state she will not be able to produce milk for her babies and you will have to handfeed. The best thing you can is read over the FAQ's in the breeding and babies section. The formula for handfeeding is 1 can of canned goat's milk, one can full of water and a tablespoon of baby rice cereal. You will need to get a dropper or syringes from your vet or local pet store to handfeed. NEVER force the liquid into the babies tummy, but instead drop it on their lip and let them suckle it off. To help bring mom's milk in you can hang a water bottle filled with half cranberry juice and half water. As long as mom is carry for the babies that is a good sign, it means she knows they are healthy and wants to nurture them. You definitely need to purchase, if you don't have one already, a digital scale. You need to weigh the kits daily to make sure they are gaining. Curly tails and warm bellies mean babies are getting milk. Babies are very small and can get through cage bars if they are not baby safe. If you don't have a baby safe cage you can put screening around your cage to prevent babies from getting out and falling to harm. If at anytime you are unsure what to do please pop into chat and ask the experienced members there. There is usually always at least one experienced member in chat to answer questions and concerns. Also forgot to say if you think mom is starting to get weak you will need to consider hand feeding as well in case she's too weak to do so. You can either crush pellets in a blender and add water to make a slury that will fit in a larger syringe to feed her, or get critical care from your local vet or wee companions here on the forum offers it as well. Last but not least. . .
Congratulations on your new babies! I hope mom and babies will do well and thrive!

They don't look particularly small from the pics, but you may want to get some supplies for handfeeding in case you do have to start.

Laurie gave you some great advice above regarding the hand feeding formula. I would like to add that you can also put a DRY formula in the cage - 1/3 ground pellets, 1/3 DRY goat milk, 1/3 DRY baby oatmeal. I put this in with all my new babies, and they start nibbling almost immediately. Mom will eat this as well, and it may boost her milk production.

I'd like to reiterate what was said about baby safe wire spacing. You would not believe how small a space those kits can get through. 1x1/2" is the largest space that should be used.

Also want to reinforce the scale suggestion. It will help ease your mind as well. You can buy a gram scale at Walmart, Target, etc. Babies may stay the same or even lose a few grams over the first few days until mom's milk comes in, but they should then start gaining rapidly.

Congratulations on the babies, and keep us posted on their progress!

Lauri and Monika have given some excellant advice!
Let me second the LifeLine suggestion though - it's pulled me through some pretty rough situations!
Congratulations and good luck with those cuties!!

They are doing well

I am going to purchase a scale today.

Mom is taking care of them, and they are both nursing and active. The only baby I have to compare them to is the first one she had, and I'm going to guess that baby was very large. Maybe that is why I think they are so small. The little one seriously is 1/3 of the size of the kit from her first litter. I'm positive they aren't premature. I did the math and actually they were born 5 days late. (Since the last day she was with a male when when the first kit was born in march).

I like the dry formula idea, and I'm going to pick them at when I'm at the stor today also.

Thanks for the help, and I will keep you updated on their progress.

Here's a few more pictures

The first picture is from the day they were born. The others are from today. Other than being small they seem amazingly healthy. Mom is her old peppy self. Her milk has come in and I see them nursing and caring for both of them. I'm not as worried as I was yesterday. They are two days old now.

Attachments

• HPIM1221a.jpg
    HPIM1221a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 41
  • HPIM1227a.jpg
    HPIM1227a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM1231a.jpg
    HPIM1231a.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Just wanted to say. This is my first time EVER seeing chin kits, and I must say, they are absolutely adorable! Love how big their heads are compared to their bodies :). I guess they grow into their heads instead of feet :). Congrats!

Oh my, yes. How adorable. I love that picture of him coming out of the hidey house too. Too funny.

So glad to see these cute wee ones! They are adorable. I'm glad mom seems to be doing fine as well.

Back