Suggestions for dust bath

HaXena

Need creative thinkers to help me brainstorm!

I want to turn a giant ball of death into a dust bath. Looking for suggestions on how I might seal up the slits so the inside is smooth. I thought maybe resin but worry it may crack or flaking over time??
It would be great if I could keep it see through, for my own enjoyment.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!
A13268EA-32AE-420D-88C9-0EA0DD36A4C7.jpeg

Amethyst

Staff member
Honestly I'm not sure it would be worth it, even if you did find a way, a ball wouldn't be very stable. I used a one gallon glass candy jar as my dust bath.

HaXena

Stability is the easiest fix. Bottom of a med size planter pot holds it securely in one spot.

I’ll keep brainstorming. What he has now has holes in it. Can’t afford to buy anything, trying to be creative w what I have on hand.

Chinmama

Super Moderator
I use a large glass fish bowl, but the possibilities are endless. You can use a baking dish or pan with tall sides. You can use a large jar (gallon) turned on its side. You can use a large bowl that’s stable enough to not turn over.

Nerk

Chinchilla Servant
For three of my girls I use the old plastic dust houses, I'm not sure if they make those anymore. I'm going to switch soon to a glass container.
For the fourth I use a Pyrex mixing bowl. She used to have a house but she kept getting wheeping eyes after dust baths. I switched to something more open and her eyes cleared up.

HaXena

I use a large glass fish bowl, but the possibilities are endless. You can use a baking dish or pan with tall sides. You can use a large jar (gallon) turned on its side. You can use a large bowl that’s stable enough to not turn over.
Thank you! I feel a little silly because a jar never occurred to me! I have a few old giant pickle jars that should work great!

LillyChu

Lilly
I am currently using a large fish bowl aswell, but my boy is very rough with rolling, so it still spills everywhere.

What my cousin uses is a new cat litter box with a hood and door, she places it in the cage or floor during play time for about 30 minutes and then away, so they can't chew it, works perfectly and I will be going for that very soon aswell.

HeatherLouWho

The Squee Queen
I know I am in the minority here, but I use a medium-sized cardboard box. I cut a chinchilla-sized hole in one end, tape up the bottom (including the ends of the bottom), and leave the top flaps in place. I can easily add or change out dust by opening the top and adding or dumping. I can sift the poops out of the dust by running the poop/dust mix through a sieve into a bowl, then putting the dust back into the box. Asa Gray likes the privacy, and the dust pretty much stays in the box instead of floating out the top. The chinchilla-sized hole sort of squeegies loose dust off of him as he exits, too. If I want to play with him, I can open a flap and he will poke his head up to see me. He will also choose to come out and run a little, then return to his "bath house." The box also serves as an easy transport between the play area and his cage. If it gets too worn out, I always have new boxes coming in, thanks to online deliveries.

Latest posts