Strange swelling - need advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToothlessJoe

My female hedgehog is ~ 4 years old, and seems to have some strange swelling just under her tail. There seems to be a marble sized area that has swollen up. The swelling feels to be fluid filled and not a lump of tissue. This appeared in the past few days (we had not noticed anything amiss when we had her out a over the weekend). Also, she tried to hibernate last night (and again this evening), could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any advice!

I'm sorry no hedgie people have seen your post yet. I expect she will need to see a vet and get it lanced and get antibiotics. Where are you? Maybe someone can reccomend an exotics vet.

Yes, addictedtochins is right. Definite vet visit. Also bump up the temp in her room to stop the hibernating attempts. Is she still going to the bathroom ok?

Without a picture none of us can even begin to guess, as hedgehogs get all kinds of tumors/cycts/ingrowns/etc.

If its something you are considering "emergency," I would consider an e-vet an not wait much longer. I doesnt sound as if it is, call today when the office opens and get an appointment to get seen.

A veterinary visit to have it examined is in order. It could be nothing more than a little pocket of infection that needs to be lanced/drained and antibiotics given, to something as bad as a cancerous tumor.

Back