Stinky Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkedupTara

Do the chinny shuffle!
As you know I have two smelly girls I took in and I can not get the smell off of them and baking soda was suggested to add to the bath. I tried and it isnt helping with just a tsp in the dust, how much can i safely add to the dust?

Tara, I know that it's only done infrequently, but perhaps you could find out about giving them a water bath. I'm sure that someone with a lot more experience can tell you what to do.

God knows, they won't die from getting wet -- Mr. Whiskers was once skulking along the wall like a wet rat when I realized that he had taken a swim in the toilet!!! There is now a "SEAT MUST BE DOWN" rule!!! I didn't try to shampoo him, just towel dried and blow dryer on low.

Tara, I know that it's only done infrequently, but perhaps you could find out about giving them a water bath. I'm sure that someone with a lot more experience can tell you what to do.

God knows, they won't die from getting wet -- Mr. Whiskers was once skulking along the wall like a wet rat when I realized that he had taken a swim in the toilet!!! There is now a "SEAT MUST BE DOWN" rule!!! I didn't try to shampoo him, just towel dried and blow dryer on low.

lol, you mean my chin isn't the only one who went swimming in the toilet?! This happened when I first got my chin and didn't realize the dangers of them getting wet. I just towel dried her off as best I could and she was fine. But I have also heard about chins being bathed occasionally, but I don't know what would be appropriate to clean the chin with. But I would think a bath would be the best way to get rid of unwanted smells.

i have heard and seen of scented chinchilla dust at walmart and some pet stores not sure if there are any close to you or if they would carry it and i have never tried it myself but maybe that would be an option.... and im sure the chins would like that advice because it keeps them out of water.

just a suggestion not sure if it is good for them to have a scented bath but its another product out there that might be another useless creation from people who know nothing about chins but it might help your situation.

I was thinking of filling a bowl with the baking soda, and just rubbing it on to her, and getting it on her and then sitting her in a dust bath and letting her dust it off? Think that would be ok?

I am so tempted to bathe her but I worry I would cause more stress than anything, since there isnt a medical need that I need to wash her like that. She has been through a lot and has a long way to go, so I wanted to try all roads before water. But for sure if I decide to go that route, I will ask first and know how to do it properly. :D

i have heard and seen of scented chinchilla dust at walmart and some pet stores not sure if there are any close to you or if they would carry it and i have never tried it myself but maybe that would be an option.... and im sure the chins would like that advice because it keeps them out of water.

just a suggestion not sure if it is good for them to have a scented bath but its another product out there that might be another useless creation from people who know nothing about chins but it might help your situation.

Thanks for the option. Sadly, they are not good for chins. But it was a thoughtful suggestion, thanks!

They are using Blue Sparkle every other day with a tsp of baking soda per cup of dust. I am sure I "could" add the scented dust, but I want to get it off her more than just cover it up. I would like to be able to hold her and not gag, yes, she smells that bad.

A vet went over her, there are no sores, no drainage anywhere, no cause for the smell other than her housing prior I assume? Who knows, but it isnt medical that anyone can tell.

The problem with the scented baths is it is linked to upper respiratory systems in chinchillas. Chinchillas have a very sensitive respiratory system. And the scent would only mask it. Like if you were to go without showering for a few weeks then spray yourself with perfume

Do you have any blue cloud? Maybe because it's a tad finer it could work in a little more. Or maybe not. lol

Or you could wipe her a bit with an unscented baby wipe and then get her to dust like mad.

The Wee Stinky Ones. lol

LOL the Mad Stinkers is more like it! Can I add, they are both gaining weight/fur/ and muscle mass! They are both getting faster and better at jumping/running!

Awe! I hope you will put a video together in a year....the transformation will be amazing!!

Let's hope the stink won't be around! lol

AS long as it's not that stench from Seinfeld.....the beast wasn't it called. lol

I'm sure time is what it will take....maybe lots of time.

The problem with the scented baths is it is linked to upper respiratory systems in chinchillas. Chinchillas have a very sensitive respiratory system. And the scent would only mask it. Like if you were to go without showering for a few weeks then spray yourself with perfume

LOL! that is so :vomit:

LOL I had said the same thing, that I didnt want to mask it but get rid of it, but it got lost on the first page.

So no one thinks adding a little more is a bad thing? Susan if it wasnt so aweful I would wait it out, but it is, so I wanted to help her and my nose out a little more proactively.

After what those 2 have been through I wouldn't think it would hurt them. Poor stinkies. I know when I got my first 2 girls, Lizz the one that rescued them said they came from someone that was a heavy smoker and they reaked for a really long time. She had to give them a ton of dust baths before she didn't smell smoke when she went in the room where they were.

i know it seems obvious, but is anybody peeing in their bath house? one of mine peed in his house during bath time & then proceeded to roll in the pee filled dust -- ick!! his fur smelled to high heaven. i had to scrub the beejesus out of the house (wet dust doesn't come off easily), then refill it (after it dried) & get him to bathe again a few more times before his fur stopped smelling. thankfully it seems to be a one-time thing. if your bath houses haven't been scrubbed lately, you may want to give it a try.

Back