Splitting the FN for Two Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinmama

We're getting our house ready to sell, and for the time being I am thinking about consolidating the chins into one Ferret Nation cage and selling the QC Mansions. They both have flying saucer wheels now. How much space would the saucer take up in the FN?

I'm also thinking I should move ZZ into the bottom since he is the heavier wheeler, but I hate to have him running so hard Marble thinks she's having an earthquake. Are the FN's fairly sturdy with the saucer wheels?

I hate to take away their huge cages, but I think it would look better to have just one cage when we are showing the house. Actually, they may have more usable space split up in one FN? I've been looking at the pictures in the FN thread and I think they'll survive. My main concern is whether they can keep their saucer wheels and still have enough space.

i believe there are a number of single level FN's with saucers in them in the ferret nation club thread. should be plenty enough room if each level is only housing a single chin.

(I'd take a picture for you but the batteries in my camera are dead.) When Crash (on the bottom) runs on his Saucer, the cage does shimmy a little. It doesn't seem to be enough to upset Nova and YouBe, and I got used to the noise of rattling toys, etc. in a couple of days. When I install a second wheel, I plan to put it on the opposite side of Crash's saucer for balance purposes. Not that I anticipate a tip-over if they were both on the same side, but better safe than sorry.

As far as how much floor space it takes up, Crash doesn't seem bothered by the 8"-10" or so in that one corner. He seems to like hanging out under/behind the Saucer as much as he does on it, and the wheel supports are pretty well nibbled. He's also got a hidey box and a tube on the floor, so it's kind of an obstacle course anyhow. He's got plenty of room down there by himself, and the two boys on top aren't crowded either. In terms of "curb appeal" the FN seems like a great option.

I have wheels in both levels of one of my split FN's. Just make sure the screws are tight, and put the wheels on opposite sides of the cage to help keep it sturdier in case both are running. The wooden blocks placed under the saucers really helps with the "wobbly-ness".

They can have plenty of space with a Saucer. I just built a long shelf to go all the way across the back over the top of the saucer to utilize as much space as possible. I'll get a picture when I get home today. I have 2 chins in there and they get along just fine, so I'm sure it will be fine for 1. :))

I just found a used FN on Craigslist for $150. It doesn't have the upper pan, which is no big deal since I would need to buy new ones anyway. But, I can get a new one for $219. Should I spend the $150 on a used one in good shape? I keep holding out for one for less than $100...but it just isn't happening. Of course, the cages they have now are fine, so it's not like I'm in a rush.

You may want to check it out in person if that's possible. keep in mind that if the person needs to ship it to you, it will not be free shipping like http://www.petsbycsn.com/ has. So that may make the purchase significantly more.

Back