Spay + One Live Kit - pics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoaea

O.o
My Black velvet girl had a full spay Sat night. Back in Sept when she won champion female I had decided to pick up a male to see if I could handle breeding on a small scale. Needless to say I drew the short card with luck as her first baby was breech and died in utero trapping a live kit behind it. =( I sleep days and when I was getting ready for bed I noticed her going into labor. I figured when I woke up I'd find some fluffy critters in the cage.

Anyway, that evening she still hadn't progressed and was visibly warn out so off to the vet she went! I was worried sick until they told me she pulled through ok.

I was lucky one kit was still alive, and full of spunk. Here are some quick pics. I'll post more later on. (little thing is hyper active and I cant get good pics!) I'm 80% sure it's a female, standard.

Attachments

• chinchilla 5.jpg
    chinchilla 5.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 136
  • chinchilla 1.jpg
    chinchilla 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 126
So sorry to hear that your girl had complications! :( But, am glad that there was good news to go along with it, and that the 2nd baby lived! :)

It happens with breeding. I try to tell anyone asking for breeding animals to consider that things can go wrong and am usually given a response that is less than positive for my concern. :/

I hope that your mama chin continues to do well for you and that your baby thrives. You will have to post pictures for us as the baby grows. :)

Uh, but see that is drawing the lucky card. Most aren't lucky enough to find the mom in labor, be ABLE to rush her to the vet and save a kits life. GOOD JOB! No, most find the mother near death...both kits dead...and not enough time to save mom. So I see this is a good outcome :( and unfortunately THAT'S what breeding is sometimes. Congrats and keep us posted on both mommy and baby!

Ditto what Vyxxin said. Your girl survived and so did at least one kit - many, many don't.

Congrats on your new little one! I hope mom and baby both do well. :)

Mom is nibbling hay and eating critical care voluntary (had to force feed the other day) so she seems to recovering well. Baby is nursing on mom but im still hand feeding as idk how much milk she could make while not eating normally. Going to pick up some fresh hay from Linda who has been giving me lots of phone support. <3

I know I'm lucky to have my girl still, and even if the baby doesnt grow up to be a first placer I'll still be keeping her. Mean while cant wait for my first day off work tomorrow. @_@ maybe I'll know what sleep is again...

Mom's (Fattie) back at the vet tonight, her incision was bulging yesterday so they had to reopen her. Luckily it wasn't a dehiscence but just fluid build up from trauma. They drained her and I'll get to pick her up in a few hours. =S Vet says its probably the baby and says to keep them separate until Fattie is healed so looks like the sleepless nights/day continue!

Kit is sleeping in my hoodie, she starts squawking and complaining when alone. She also gained 2 grams today. =) Bit tickly tho... She likes the crook of my arm the most (and so far has only peed on me twice... ) :neener:

Attachments

• IMG_20130410_044538_249.jpg
    IMG_20130410_044538_249.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 53
Im sorry to hear that you BV girl had such a tough time. I remember her from the show. Beautiful girl. Im glad to hear the kit is doing ok. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Im sorry to hear that you BV girl had such a tough time. I remember her from the show. Beautiful girl. Im glad to hear the kit is doing ok. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Yea I was hoping to get one or two female kits worthy of breeding next year when I wanted to start a colony. The kit is a girl, so I have my fingers crossed that I won the genetic lottery on the first try. =x Time will tell but if not she'll be an awesome pet!

Right now mom is almost completely eating independently, gonna still give CC x2 until she either refuses it or when shes fully healed. She was taking all her meds like they were candy but now she decided that the antibiotic is icky. Its a pretty large amount too so I have to figure out a way to bribe her.

Some pics of the baby sleeping, i cant seem to capture her on camera if she is awake. =P

Attachments

• IMG_20130410_225532_125.jpg
    IMG_20130410_225532_125.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20130410_225240_676.jpg
    IMG_20130410_225240_676.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 37
Moms in quarantine now, she had an allergic reaction to the stitches a few days ago and developed infection. =( Her stitches were a few days from being fully healed too. Now she has a harsh antibiotic and a wash for her newly placed staples.

Baby doesn't seem to like the goats milk at all, is there something to add to make them enjoy it more? She is stalling out at 70g the last few days. I can't get more than 1cc per feeding and I also have work for 8 hour stretches.

Also when do they start peeing independently without needing their bumb stimulated? Because lately she never pees when I clean her...

Attachments

• Trinity4172013.jpg
    Trinity4172013.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9197-001.jpg
    IMG_9197-001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9214.jpg
    IMG_9214.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9239-001.jpg
    IMG_9239-001.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9244.jpg
    IMG_9244.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 35
Thank you to all the people that shared different kit formula approaches with me, I finally found one this kit likes (she is soooo picky!). Winner was whole milk with apple/cereal baby food. Now she is biting at the syringe instead of pushing it away. =)

And then passing out in my hand, awwie...

Mom's scabs are starting to fall away and her surgical wound looks good compared to when it was irritated. She reeeeally hates her antibiotic though, its like a battle to pin her tight enough to get it in her (its a really large amount too, so I have to give it in more than one squirt).

Baby went from 69 g to 72g this morning and has had 12 ml of formula from midnight and the day is only half gone. =) My husband is also willing to help now that she eats without having to be held tight. He was scared of squishing her before. She is jumping around my desk as I type. ^.^

Mom gets her staples out tomorrow, her tummy finally looks healed at least so I'm hoping the vet will clear her to be able to have play time and dust baths again. Also, the antibiotic she is on is making her appetite very small so I'm hoping she can stop it early. =s

Czarina the baby lives on my desk in a travel cage and I let her run around while I'm at my desk. Normally she just curls up in my sweater or blanket (in the morning) to snooze. =3 But I basically had to clear off everything as it is her personal mission to chew on anything in reach! She also likes a good applewood chunk. ;D Meanwhile she is popcorning all over my desk as im trying to type this up. @_@

Czari is also up to 97 g this morning, and is all rollypolly. =)

Attachments

• sleeping.jpg
    sleeping.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Ommnomms.jpg
    Ommnomms.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back