Some of my other critters (Tarantula + Fish Tank)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I recently added some corals, so I have a bit more than what is in the picture. Right now I have a bubble anemone that is being hosted by a maroon clown, frog spawn, various colors of zoanthids, yellow polyps, green & purple ricordia, green & red mushrooms, a tree coral, toadstool leather coral, green star polyps, green trumpets, waving hand xenias, and pulsing xenias. Think I got them all :))

So jealous :cool: I only have a couple corals at the moment. I did pick up a mini maxi anemone and 3 sexy shrimp yesterday. They are just the coolest little critters. I don't think they've moved from the anemone since I got it. Haha.

Wow cool. I like them but I don't like the feeling when they walk on my hand or arm. Feels like they hold on inside my pores. Awful feeling.. If I do this regularly probably get use to it.

So jealous :cool: I only have a couple corals at the moment. I did pick up a mini maxi anemone and 3 sexy shrimp yesterday. They are just the coolest little critters. I don't think they've moved from the anemone since I got it. Haha.

I love the sexy shrimps, but I always fight with myself spending $20+ on any invert lol. Most of my corals came from my boyfriend's frags or him buying them for me as gifts. I did have a cleaner shrimp but I think he's gone, haven't seen him in a week or so. :(

I love the sexy shrimps, but I always fight with myself spending $20+ on any invert lol. Most of my corals came from my boyfriend's frags or him buying them for me as gifts. I did have a cleaner shrimp but I think he's gone, haven't seen him in a week or so. :(

They are $20 around your way? I got mine for $10 a piece at Petco. But this LFS near me is selling them for $18 a piece. I'm getting in some corals tomorrow. A frogspawn, peppermint acan, and green candy cane coral (trumpet coral) I'm so excited! :D

Petco always has really cheap saltwater stuff but our Petco stopped carrying saltwater. Last Sexy Shrimp I saw at a local fish store were $35 :( Congrats on your new corals! :))

That's disappointing :( I only have 2 Petco's near me that sell saltwater livestock. The one nearest to me actually gets saltwater livestock in on a regular. And thank you! I will make sure to post some pictures once my corals grow out a little more.

Love your fish tank! I've toyed with the idea of setting up a marine tank since I started working at a certain pet store whose main colour is blue, but I feel like it might be beyond my capabilities right now. Maybe some day, if nothing else just for a clown fish. :hmm:

Also, would just like to say that Paul is spectacular. I'm all for Ts as pets, but I'll never own one -- love looking at pics of them and looking at them in tanks, but give me the willies otherwise. One friend has a Chilean Rosehair and a Mexican Red Knee (which I proudly found at a local reptile show), and another had a Pinktoe and some other Old World T that I can never remember the name of.

Me? I'll stick with my hedgie and my reptiles. :thumbsup:

Petco always has really cheap saltwater stuff but our Petco stopped carrying saltwater. Last Sexy Shrimp I saw at a local fish store were $35 :( Congrats on your new corals! :))

I would never buy fish from our local petco. The last one i got was sick and wiped out my whole tank. As I'm sure you know marine life is expensive. :( It was a sad sad time for me. I now have it restocked with a 2 clown,3 chromis,1 pajama cardinal,2 dartfish and carols. :) Have you ever seen a trancula crap? It's not reef safe but it's awesome. If you like spiders you would love it. I will try to attach a pic of mine. :) I have a reef tank and a live rock with fish only.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349929589873.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349929589873.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 128
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349929615215.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349929615215.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 129
Yeah, buying livestock from PETCO is a bad idea. Heard lots of horror stories from folks crashing their tanks from their stock. I have a 45 bow front reef with 4 green chromis, an blue tang (to be rehomed when she gets too big), and a clownfish. We've had a bunch of jumpers, including the other clownfish, one chromis, and a 6 line wrasse. The 6 line killed a banana wrasse (which we were told by the fish store owner that they were 100% compatible).

Always quarantine... it sucks, but it will save your tank, especially when you have $300 of live rock in there. :)

I just had a jumper last week in my fish only tank. My jaw fish took the dive. I'm not sure if I will replace him.

I thought I commented but I guess not. Love the set up! I have always wanted a salt tank, but too affraid to take the plunge. Then again, what I'm spending on freshwater fish is close to your mid-range salt water fish anyway...

I think when my 150 Freshwater tank dies off, I'll replace it with a salt tank. We also have a 46 gallon freshwater, and will be upgrading our 30 gallon to either a 55 or 72 gallon freshwater... I think the 150 would do awesome marine---down the line :p

Everywhere is always a risk- that's why all my marine livestock are quarantined at least 30 days before I added it to the main tank. Surprisingly, all the fish I got from Petco were the healthiest.

Last edited:
Stacie, Your spider is pretty cool! I would be very intimidated at first. Can you hold him? Is he "friendly"?

Love your fish tank setup too! My boyfriend has a freshwater tank with cichlids in it. He has it decorated with all sorts of rocks. It is pretty neat. I enjoy watching the fish, it's very relaxing. He just can't bring himself to plunge into a saltwater tank though!

Saltwater is so expensive..sometimes I kick myself for setting up a salt tank lol. But it's worth it, it's so much more interesting and so diverse.

The spider is kind of jumpy, but getting better. He usually kicks his hair 80% of the time I mess around in his cage, so I haven't tried holding him. Maybe when he gets full grown..for now he is a pet to look at and not hold :D

Setting a saltwater tank up is expensive but once you have it set up and going it's no worse than a fresh water tank. :)

Setting a saltwater tank up is expensive but once you have it set up and going it's no worse than a fresh water tank. :)

I beg to differ- the saltwater itself is obviously more expensive than just turning on your faucet to fill up a bucket and throwing some water conditioner in. I prefer to buy the saltwater already mixed rather than mix it myself. At $3.00 a gallon, the bigger your tank is, the more money you have to spend on water to do water changes and it gets really expensive. I generally spend around $40-50 every two weeks on water changes alone. Not to mention all the supplementation you have to put in if you're keeping corals, and buying good quality foods for your fish who are usually much more picky about their foods than freshwater. You really have to keep up on your water changes in a salt aquarium as well- fresh seems to be more forgiving if you stretch out the time between water changes.

Wow ...yr way over paying. Maybe it's where you live tho. I buy RO water at 50 cents a gallon and bags of salt and mix it myself. I don't spend anywhere close to 80 to a 100 a month for water changes....YIKES!

Back